Bluecoats sync license

Is DCI going to be able to get it for the bluray set? 

After researching a little regarding Beatles music and licensing, I’m thinking not, but one can always hope.  However, it could be the first year of finals vids that an entire performance is not on the disc...and it’s even worse for DCI if that corps ends up winning tonight and your champ of the activity isn’t included on the set.

ugh, the state of copyright today...sorry to be negative nilly on finals day, but couldn’t help thinking about this all season.  And yes, I’m a DCI video collector thus my concern.

Good luck to all the corps tonight - its been an awesome season!

11 minutes ago, leed17 said:

Is DCI going to be able to get it for the bluray set? 

After researching a little regarding Beatles music and licensing, I’m thinking not, but one can always hope.  However, it could be the first year of finals vids that an entire performance is not on the disc...and it’s even worse for DCI if that corps ends up winning tonight and your champ of the activity isn’t included on the set.

ugh, the state of copyright today...sorry to be negative nilly on finals day, but couldn’t help thinking about this all season.  And yes, I’m a DCI video collector thus my concern.

Good luck to all the corps tonight - its been an awesome season!

I was wondering the same thing!

Westman talked about licensing durning the theater broadcast. Not specifically about synch rights but about copyright issues involving George Harrison music versus other Beatles music.  I’m sure they’ve got this one covered. I’d be surprised if they didn’t. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bt90 said:

I’m pretty sure they announced early on that all licenses were secured. 

For arranging and performance yes, but I don’t think mechanical (cd) or sync (video) were part of that announcement.  I would love to be wrong...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, poprocks said:

They aren’t actually playing that much recognizable Beatles material to begin with. If they were playing longer sections of each song it would likely be a different story. 

I dont think it matters...as long as you perform ANY portion of the tune, it’s got to be paid for.  The Bluecoats have a long rep list of tunes for this season.  Could be extremely expensive even if the rights are granted...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, but this is Bluecoats, not Kiwanis Kavaliers.  I think that raises the ceiling on what DCI would pay to get the synch licensing.

I wasn't under the impression that it was DCI paying for the rights. I thought each individual corps is responsible for obtaining sync rights to their own Show