Bluecoats sync license

Bluecoats secured proper licenses to arrange and perform. The sync license for the DCI DVDs will be secured by DCI and that can't be finalized until after tonight. DCI needs to know exactly who is in the Top 12, and what songs will be included on the DVD. I'm sure they have started the process with preliminary negotiations, but that sync license can not be completed early. It takes a lot of back and forth negotiation.

The challenge with the Beatles music when it comes to sync licenses is what is known as the most favored nation clause. This basically states that whatever the highest royalty paid, then everyone gets that same amount. So for the sake of simple math, let's say each of the top 12 corps uses 4 tunes in their show. That is a total of 48 different contracts/licenses that need to be negotiated for the sync license for the DCI DVD. Let's say that for 11 of those corps (44 tunes), the copyright owners have asked for $1 per tune. But in the case of the Bluecoats and the Beatles music, the rights holders are asking for $5 per tune. Since that is the highest dollar amount of the 48 tunes on the DVD, all 48 rights holders will get $5. So a DVD with 11 corps performances, minus Bluecoats, would cost $44 is licensing fees. But adding the Bluecoats to that DVD and now the licensing jumps up to $240 per DVD (48 tunes @ $5 per tune). This is why DCI decided to drop Kiwanis Cavaliers from the DVD years ago. It was possible, but made things cost-prohibitive. 

Now, here is what DCI could do. They could produce a DVD with everyone EXCEPT the Bluecoats, and then a standalone DVD with only the Bluecoats. The first DVD would cost $44 in royalties, and the second would cost $20 in royalties. This is MUCH better than $240 in royalties for a single DVD. This is how corps like the Blue Devils can afford to sell DVDs of just their show.

I hope all of that makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Individual corps are responsible for securing permission to arrange and perform, and any associated fees. These are usually simpler and cheaper to obtain than sync licenses required for DVDs. DCI is responsible for securing the sync license and paying any fees/royalties associated with those DVDs.

Crown did a Beatles tune last year ("If I Fell"), and that was included in both the CD and Blu-ray sets. I am optimistic that the entire Bluecoats show will be on the discs. I think we could see edits in BD's show once again. It's interesting that there are no issues with streaming the shows live multiple times during the season and NOTHING is muted from any corps. I would think that would be as big an issue as the license for the discs.