In-Person Amp Reviews?

Our lengthy discussion of amplification pros and cons would benefit from hearing impressions from those 'in the house' last night. After all, we've been told much of this amp technology is intended to make the in-person experience better for more of the audience. Did this all succeed/fail for you?  How so?

From where YOU sat inside the stadium, was our emerging amplification a benefit to you?  Might help to indicate the yard line and level of your ticket.

( I did Flo, so will only comment I sensed Carolina Crown really dialed up the overlays. Also, soloists for a few corps would have benefited more with mics attached right on the bell. )

Sat low close to the 50, honestly didn’t mind most of the electronics except Bluecoats. SOOOOO loud with some individual members mic’d up and it just wasn’t necessary. I get it during some solos but not during ensemble moments. Glad I’m up high tonight so I can actually enjoy the loudness without literally going deaf!

Section 138 about the 25. A speaker was right in front of us for most shows, and I didn't mind it until the final 3. It's quite clear the top 3 are pumping hornline through the speakers, and I found that to be quite distracting. I second that Bluecoats were a little obnoxiously loud with their amplification, especially in the closer. I personally don't think any of the amplification added anything to my experience but I'm more of a purist, so there may be some bias. The top 3 definitely were a problem for me. The amplified hornline sound doesn't compare to the real deal.

• Like 2

Thanks for your input!

Understandably, my Flo sound experience doesn’t count in this outreach. In fairness, by mentioning Crown I was not dissatisfied by what I heard. Sounded great to me. Actually, I thought Crown was the best I’ve seen/heard them all season. As smr17 notes, the last 3 corps really let it rip! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Thanks for your input!

Understandably, my Flo sound experience doesn’t count in this outreach. In fairness, by mentioning Crown I was not dissatisfied by what I heard. Sounded great to me. Actually, I thought Crown was the best I’ve seen/heard them all season. As smr17 notes, the last 3 corps really let it rip! 

I live and die by Crown (so bias), but I couldn't be happier with how they sounded. That pure, natural hornline was the highlight of the night for me!

• Like 1

My comments are from Allentown last week, so different stadium dynamics.....

Bluecoats are definitely the loudest. It could easily be said that it’s too loud. I personally don’t mind the volume as I like music loud and of course I like Blooo’s music. 

it’s also not just the top 3 that are pumping horns from the field. I feel that most every group has mic’s set up on the sidelines that pick up the sound and redistribute thru speakers. Some do it better than others (but this can be discussed in the A&E thread to your heart’s content) 

• Like 1