If between Bluecoats and BD, what influences your pick?

Blue Devils. I prefer their show design in general but I’m much more analytical and like more esoteric or deeper meaning type of shows than big, bold, in your face drum corps. It’s pretty telling when you tell me to pick only 3 shows to watch again out of the top 6, I’ll pick BD, SCV and Crown...

• Like 5

Two clean runs and the gold goes to BC due to GE.

The challenge for BC, over the past five years, has been to be loose but not too loose. Last night was too loose. You can’t forget that this is both a live performance and a technical exposition. BD will never be accused of being too loose, and that’s why they continue to rack up the technical wins. BD will always focus on execution, and if that’s what the judges think matters most, then they will win.

It’s an interesting moment in DCI. The top six are each quite unique takes on the activity and in many years any one of them could win the gold medal. But the variety spans from very “tight” to very “loose.” SCV, BC and Cavaliers are constantly playing to the crowd; Boston has a true popcorn eater show that plays to the big ending; Crown and BD are “sticking to their knitting,” focusing on technical execution.

Depending on what you think Drum Corps should ultimately focus on, you are going to pick the shows you like best.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, derbydawg said:

Bluecoats because the show is so well written and performed. It has an emotional hook from beginning to end. BD is too unemotional, except the ballad, and I have seen this show  the past six years or so. Ready for something fresh from the Devils.  

What’s funny is I feel the exact opposite as you. I’m ready for something fresh from Bluecoats cause the last 3-4 years seen the same to me 😂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, wilme861 said:

Blue Devils. I prefer their show design in general but I’m much more analytical and like more esoteric or deeper meaning type of shows than big, bold, in your face drum corps. It’s pretty telling when you tell me to pick only 3 shows to watch again out of the top 6, I’ll pick BD, SCV and Crown...

Mine are nearly the same. But I'd go BD, Crown, Cavies. 

I could listen to SCV all day though, just wouldn't want to watch them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

A great description of why I prefer BK over 'coats. 

(Well, that plus I'm a honk for Mike Jackson's percussion writing skills.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Agree, but I’d do BD, Crown, and Blue Knights (With a Cavaliers nod if a fourth were allowed)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaylogan said:

Agree, but I’d do BD, Crown, and Blue Knights (With a Cavaliers nod if a fourth were allowed)

BK aren’t top 6 or I would agree with you 100%

Just now, wilme861 said:

Knights, as usual, is the show you would most like to listen to in a concert hall. I still imagine a year when they win the gold medal because it would be an absolutely mind blowing show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wilme861 said:

Whoops! Missed that criteria!