If between Bluecoats and BD, what influences your pick?

Full discloser - son aged out with BD...

... But I'd still pick BD this year. saw the show the first time at their rehearsal before the Rose Bowl show. I was blown away by how moved I was watching a bare bone show a at freaking rehearsal! Still hasn't changed for me. Seeing it now, and not in live in person at the show, it still affects me. And I really love Crown's show too. I think it's the math minor in me that responds to it so well. Bloo just doesn't hit me like that. Part of it could be that I'm not really a Beatles fan. While I enjoy their stuff, it's not a part of my childhood like it would for someone a little bit older than me. I watched to show last night with my son's high school band. One of the kids said it best, Bloo's show just felt really long. 

It's all personal preference. I can see why others just really click with Bloo and are blown away by it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

(Psst:  When Michael Boo used to post here he made it a point of correcting a common error:  It's Bluecoats, not Blue Coats, although phonetically, you are correct.  [It's them, not you] :innocent:)

Curiously, we never see the opposite mistake.

No one ever writes Bluedevils or Blueknights or Bluestars.

Bluecoats have swagger, passion, and are all and all a really loveable corps. Their show is at the same time very simple, and yet very detailed. And they are turning amazing source material (that is rather unconventional for a DCI show) into a technically complex and championship worthy show. I like BD's show this year, but there is a lot going on and honestly, Bluecoats have won over my heart with their passion.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

I disagree with you here. The Bluecoats are the FRESH in drum corps these days. But I also believe BD continues to be FRESH as well. If BD was still utilizing the style they were using in 2008, I'd say no and maybe it's time to modify, but they shifted gears in 2014 and I have loved it. The present Bluecoats style comes from 2014 as well (Tilt). They have modified it some, and I continue to find their designs fresh and entertaining, and frankly I feel Bluecoats are at the pinnacle of design in the activity (right there with BD). I might throw SCV in there as well. They missed only by a little this year when it comes to design/theme, but otherwise they feel very modern and fresh to me. 

What do you see as the commonalities between "Constantly Risking Absurdity", "1930", "Through a Glass Darkly", "The Beat My Heart Skipped", "Cabaret Voltaire", and "The re:Rite of Spring"?

• Like 1

I think it'll all depend on BD's approach to winning another championship. If they come out cocky and entitled, they lose. That's the robotic Devils. If on the other hand, they come out relaxed though still confident and physically look like they're having the time of their young lives, they win. That's an energy that Bloo displays so well. If that gets matched, it's gold for BD. 

17 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What do you see as the commonalities between "Constantly Risking Absurdity", "1930", "Through a Glass Darkly", "The Beat My Heart Skipped", "Cabaret Voltaire", and "The re:Rite of Spring"?

The big thing for me is how the music is being arranged. Wayne Downey retired before the 2014 year, I think, and while I have always loved his stuff, there is a difference with Dave Glyde and his new style. I think musically they are trying to push those emotional buttons a bit more while continuing to show off their excellence in technique. I also like the show themes of late. They are still complex and yet have been highly entertaining. I also happen to be a big fan of how they approach drill and body movement. I feel that has changed a good bit from the 2008 show (Risking Absurdity). They still jazz run a lot, and have been doing that for years; but there is a greater element of visual sequencing in what they do. It's somewhat similar to what the Cavaliers did in the 90s and 2000s, but it's different in that it's not symmetrically aligned from a rhythmic step-off perspective (moves on 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.) but that they might stagger moves on any count and throw in double-time and normal-time transitions all while the music is being played at normal tempo. I do also think they have stepped up their use of electronics and props since Bluecoats really began exploring these things at a higher level in 2014. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

The big thing for me is how the music is being arranged. Wayne Downey retired before the 2014 year, I think, and while I have always loved his stuff, there is a difference with Dave Glyde and his new style. I think musically they are trying to push those emotional buttons a bit more while continuing to show off their excellence in technique. I also like the show themes of late. They are still complex and yet have been highly entertaining. I also happen to be a big fan of how they approach drill and body movement. I feel that has changed a good bit from the 2008 show (Risking Absurdity). They still jazz run a lot, and have been doing that for years; but there is a greater element of visual sequencing in what they do. It's somewhat similar to what the Cavaliers did in the 90s and 2000s, but it's different in that it's not symmetrically aligned from a rhythmic step-off perspective (moves on 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.) but that they might stagger moves on any count and throw in double-time and normal-time transitions all while the music is being played at normal tempo. I do also think they have stepped up their use of electronics and props since Bluecoats really began exploring these things at a higher level in 2014. 

Thanks. I think "Constantly Risking Absurdity" was a great design and pretty funny, to boot.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As for commonalities: I think drill design and music arranging. I personally love all these shows except 2012 and 2013. In my opinion 2010 was one of the best shows of the 2010s, and their performance of it was AMAZING. They didn't get a lot of applause that year, but they got a lot from me.