If between Bluecoats and BD, what influences your pick?

32 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Why not both?  They both satisfy completely different things for me.  Blue Devils in their incredibly sophisticated themes and presentations paired with impeccable visual performance and Bluecoats in their incredible energy as performers and wildly entertaining shows.  

If this year has shown me anything, it’s that you do a show based completely on popular music or a really sophisticated theme and it doesn’t matter.  It’s just how you do what you do, and can both be successful.  

I know people hate ties, but this year, I want a tie.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

As for commonalities: I think drill design and music arranging. I personally love all these shows except 2012 and 2013. In my opinion 2010 was one of the best shows of the 2010s, and their performance of it was AMAZING. They didn't get a lot of applause that year, but they got a lot from me. 

I just watched this show again yesterday. The two main reasons for the dearth of applause, in my opinion, are that (1) the music was often broken up, without melodies being allowed to develop (especially in accessible ways), perhaps suggesting that the corps didn't really care about the music (and if so, why should the fans?); and (2) the mirrors really weren't used all that interestingly: the visuals gave the impression that there was some deep theme about identity, but it was never clear what we were supposed to take from it, and if the final gag with the DM (which was added starting in Allentown, I think) was meant to clarify the meaning, it didn't.

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I just watched this show again yesterday. The two main reasons for the dearth of applause, in my opinion, are that (1) the music was often broken up, without melodies being allowed to develop (especially in accessible ways), perhaps suggesting that the corps didn't really care about the music (and if so, why should the fans?); and (2) the mirrors really weren't used all that interestingly: the visuals gave the impression that there was some deep theme about identity, but it was never clear what we were supposed to take from it, and if the final gag with the DM (which was added starting in Allentown, I think) was meant to clarify the meaning, it didn't.

Agree about the music. It didn't bother me too much that year with BD, but it did bother me with other units (including BD in 2012).  At that time there were a lot of corps chopping up the music book. Many of us complained about the chop & bop effect that was taking place. Some of that began in the mid 1990s. We still get some of this today, but I think arrangers are doing a better job of providing melody and some development today. When I saw BD live in 2010 I really enjoyed the mirrors. 

Ironically, my favorite music book from 2010 was The Cadets and Phantom Regiment. Sadly, The Cadets found a way to destroy a fantastic music show with little Jeffrey, ugly guard unis, and a silly approach to what should have been a killer show. 

• Like 1

Bluecoats over Devils.  Love both, but as many have said, Bluecoats production is so seamless and constantly engaging every phrase of the show. Blue Devils are using too many of the same design devices they have used in past years so I loose interest at times. I am also extremely distracted by how many times Bluve Devils are done with a feature and most if not that entire group then runs off stage to the props or other area of the field. Those should be opportunities to develop those moments artistically and should not be a distraction. 

It's tough, and I do love them both, but I'd vote for Devils over 'Coats. Repeated viewing makes it seem to me like there's just much more depth and nuance in BD's show. I discover something wildly new and fascinating each time. Less of that for me with the Bluecoats this year. That being said, I haven't seen either live - if I had, it could well be I'd feel differently.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, troon88 said:

It's tough, and I do love them both, but I'd vote for Devils over 'Coats. Repeated viewing makes it seem to me like there's just much more depth and nuance in BD's show. I discover something wildly new and fascinating each time. Less of that for me with the Bluecoats this year. That being said, I haven't seen either live - if I had, it could well be I'd feel differently.

My take exactly, and I've seen them both live, on the same night. So much going on, on so many levels, in BD's show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I know people hate ties, but this year, I want a tie.

Yeah.  I was there in 2000 chanting "no more ties" but ... i'm ready for one again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

As for commonalities: I think drill design and music arranging. I personally love all these shows except 2012 and 2013. In my opinion 2010 was one of the best shows of the 2010s, and their performance of it was AMAZING. They didn't get a lot of applause that year, but they got a lot from me. 

Interestingly, I think there's way more recycling and commonalities in the musical arrangements from 2014-2019 than from 2008-2013. For example, what similarities in music arrangements were there between 2010, 2011, and 2012?

• Like 1

If not a tie, Bluecoats. I love the no loose ends approach to design and the amazing control of the crowd the show has every second. Like someone said above, the forced transition in BDs shows always bother me, but more so this year. I love their organic approach to design, but I think that can cause the mad dash transitions BD has.