If between Bluecoats and BD, what influences your pick?

1 hour ago, phan771 said:

Bluecoats over Devils.  Love both, but as many have said, Bluecoats production is so seamless and constantly engaging every phrase of the show. Blue Devils are using too many of the same design devices they have used in past years so I loose interest at times. I am also extremely distracted by how many times Bluve Devils are done with a feature and most if not that entire group then runs off stage to the props or other area of the field. Those should be opportunities to develop those moments artistically and should not be a distraction. 

I most certainly respect how you feel, just not sure what you mean when you say "same design devices" 

As far as running to props, i think BD uses props the best of any corps. The way they intergrate into the show, the way they move them around the field, to me it's seamless transition. It took me to Allentown to realize that during the opener they move the props forward several feet lol, and i spent hours at their rehearsal's and seen it live.

• Like 3

The OP question is WHAT influences your pick.

BD, electric violin notwithstanding, presents an intelligent and fascinating blend of progress and tradition in this show. The Bluecoats are leaning too heavily on accessibility for me. There's too much setup to recorded music for my taste. It's more of a "Beatles on Ice" show and not so much a drum and bugle corps show.

Edited by Cheesewater
quotation marks
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, cadetzoid said:

If not a tie, Bluecoats. I love the no loose ends approach to design and the amazing control of the crowd the show has every second. Like someone said above, the forced transition in BDs shows always bother me, but more so this year. I love their organic approach to design, but I think that can cause the mad dash transitions BD has. 

I love their transitions! They're able to change moods and the corps is able to change character so quickly and effectively! Different strokes 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I most certainly respect how you feel, just not sure what you mean when you say "same design devices" 

As far as running to props, i think BD uses props the best of any corps. The way they intergrate into the show, the way they move them around the field, to me it's seamless transition. It took me to Allentown to realize that during the opener they move the props forward several feet lol, and i spent hours at their rehearsal's and seen it live.

I think they are using this year's props amazingly well. Perhaps the best prop use ever.  SCV was pretty amazing at it last year. But I am distracted that they too often run to them and move them as if those members are invisible, moving in a way that looks frantic to me, doesn't match the music/mood, and takes them out of performance mode. 

8 minutes ago, phan771 said:

I think they are using this year's props amazingly well. Perhaps the best prop use ever.  SCV was pretty amazing at it last year. But I am distracted that they too often run to them and move them as if those members are invisible, moving in a way that looks frantic to me, doesn't match the music/mood, and takes them out of performance mode. 

Well we definitely disagree on the moving of the props. But i totally respect your opinion. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on tonight's performances. 

• Like 1

The only thing that would influence me toward the Bluecoats is that they are not the Blue Devils. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bluecoats are fabulous entertainment. If I were a show sponsor, I would want them at my place. Not to downplay in any way their superior execution. I do expect Bluecoats to win tonight and I'm OK with that. I do prefer what Blue Devils have to offer.

I think Super Bowl Halftime Show when I enjoy Bluecoats. As so many like to say "Not that there's anything wrong with that !"

• Thanks 1

What influences my pick? Important to note that the question in the title of this thread does not actually ask who I think should win (like I know much about DCI judging) but rather what factors weigh into who I prefer. That’s a much more interesting question.

I’ll take whichever corps that plays more Beatles songs. Especially “Come Together” followed by “She’s So Heavy” followed by a tag of “Hey Jude.”

Seriously though, when I saw that the Bluecoats were planning a Beatles show, I rolled my eyes so hard I tied my optic nerve into a knot. I have been part of mediocre Beatles shows, I have seen Beatles shows that ranged from god-awful all the way to, well, mediocre, and I just assumed this was going to be more of the same.

Upon seeing the show at the tour premiere (theatre not live), I lost my ###### mind. Here was a Beatles show that pushed all my buttons - the arrangements, the costumes, the transitions, and - to me - one of the most joyous and energy-packed final two minutes I have seen in 30+ years of DCI.

So yeah, I love the Beatles, and I finally get to see a Beatles show that I adore. Not complicated. Best of luck to both groups. 

Love you take = Love you make

• Like 2