If between Bluecoats and BD, what influences your pick?

4 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

You're thinking in terms of actual phrases or motifs, for which you are right. Definitely more similarities with the present BD productions (2014 to now), but that really hasn't bothered me. I'm speaking more about an arranging/orchestration style. Essentially the style that Wayne Downey used vs Dave Glyde. I love both, and Wayne has always been one of my longtime favorites. His latter stuff (2008 to 2013) has a certain style and sound to it that is very familiar, even if the songs are different. I am one of the few who love the 2010 show. But I really have enjoyed the recent shows from 2014 to now.

I'm also speaking in terms of show structure and chord progressions as well

On 8/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, Fran Haring said:

Here's what influences my pick:

I've been a BD fan ever since I first saw them, in 1973.

So I'm invoking the "before a lot of you were born" clause and going with the Devils. :tongue:

I'm interested in hearing about your take on the early years.  What was it that caught your attention?  Feel free to pm me if you wish.

21 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm also speaking in terms of show structure and chord progressions as well

I can see that. Wayne probably had a wider palette of techniques he used. Do you like the current musical arranging for recent BD shows better, or the 2008 to 2013 time frame? I liked both a lot, but was not wild about 2012. 

If its between the BlueDevils vs the bluecoats for me - not a hard choice considering the obnoxious noise one fan base makes vs the actions of the other. 

BLUEDEVILS for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, c mor said:

I'm interested in hearing about your take on the early years.  What was it that caught your attention?  Feel free to pm me if you wish.

Actually i am very interested too!! Would be awesome to hear Fran Haring's stories. I was born in 1977, so i am in that "before alot of you was born" category as well lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, E3D said:

If its between the BlueDevils vs the bluecoats for me - not a hard choice considering the obnoxious noise one fan base makes vs the actions of the other. 

BLUEDEVILS for me. 

I am as big a BD honk as there is on this forum, and i respectfully disagree with you. Bloo fans was incredibly classy Saturday night. The people b******g, moaning, and crying was the bandwagon hoppers who boarded the ABBD (Anyone But Blue Devils) train, and this year Bloo happened to be driving as the best option to beat BD. Was there some salty Bloo fans? I am sure there was some. But i didn't see any in the finals thread. But then again i stay away from the toxic internet tough guy talk that is known as Reddit, YouTube comment sections, etc. But lets keep it real, BD Nation has some jerks too, and one of them was being a real jack*** in the finals thread too. If you go to that thread it's real easy to find him/her, especially after scores was announced. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I can see that. Wayne probably had a wider palette of techniques he used. Do you like the current musical arranging for recent BD shows better, or the 2008 to 2013 time frame? I liked both a lot, but was not wild about 2012. 

That's a fair opinion, but I can't vibe with someone who doesn't dig BD 2012. That's my favorite Devils show.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E3D said:

BLUEDEVILS for me. 

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I am as big a BD honk as there is on this forum, and i respectfully disagree with you. Bloo fans was incredibly classy Saturday night. The people b******g, moaning, and crying was the bandwagon hoppers who boarded the ABBD (Anyone But Blue Devils) train, and this year Bloo happened to be driving as the best option to beat BD. Was there some salty Bloo fans? I am sure there was some. But i didn't see any in the finals thread. But then again i stay away from the toxic internet tough guy talk that is known as Reddit, YouTube comment sections, etc. But lets keep it real, BD Nation has some jerks too, and one of them was being a real jack*** in the finals thread too. If you go to that thread it's real easy to find him/her, especially after scores was announced. 

Believe me or not, but I really do not know the story about the BD behavior after the 08 Finals.  If there was something about sportsmanship, this might have a glass house answer. 

7 hours ago, c mor said:

I don't mind answering here at all, and my apologies if this is a bit long!

I think, overall, it was their general style... kind of a "California cool" vibe combined with great brass charts and that killer horn line. And their tendency to put some cutting-edge programs on the field... IMO their 1976 show was a game- changer, not only for their programming but their overall excellence and attention to detail.

I was a French horn player in drum corps, and I loved the BD Frenchie line... and appreciated that their charts  featured the midrange voices quite a bit.

My time with DCA's Sunrisers, our principal brass arranger, John Arietano,  wrote some very challenging stuff for our French horn and mellophone lines, along the lines of what Wayne Downey was doing with the Blue Devils. Perhaps not a coincidence, since John and Wayne marched together in Sunrisers in 1969 (on lead soprano)... and both were getting their start as arrangers in an era when legends (from that era, of course) such as Hy Dreitzer were writing some terrific charts that definitely highlighted the midrange voices. 

So... I guess that's a summary... long-winded, I know...LOL... of why BD got me on board!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I don't mind answering here at all, and my apologies if this is a bit long!

I think, overall, it was their general style... kind of a "California cool" vibe combined with great brass charts and that killer horn line. And their tendency to put some cutting-edge programs on the field... IMO their 1976 show was a game- changer, not only for their programming but their overall excellence and attention to detail.

I was a French horn player in drum corps, and I loved the BD Frenchie line... and appreciated that their charts  featured the midrange voices quite a bit.

My time with DCA's Sunrisers, our principal brass arranger, John Arietano,  wrote some very challenging stuff for our French horn and mellophone lines, along the lines of what Wayne Downey was doing with the Blue Devils. Perhaps not a coincidence, since John and Wayne marched together in Sunrisers in 1969 (on lead soprano)... and both were getting their start as arrangers in an era when legends (from that era, of course) such as Hy Dreitzer were writing some terrific charts that definitely highlighted the midrange voices. 

So... I guess that's a summary... long-winded, I know...LOL... of why BD got me on board!

That's not long-winded at all.  If you ever see BDCorno post, he played french horn in BD.  I'm sure you guys would have lots to share.

In 74 BD played Chant & Jubilo for their OTL. (Off The Line for youngsters).  Something about the sound...  They did this build up to a sudden halt and then a slow majestic fanfare that always made me think of Ancient Rome - like a soundtrack for Ben Hur.  I think it was the chord structure/voicing.  I dunno, just a drummer....

When I got older, I wanted to be in  a corps that traveled across the country instead of staying on the west coast.  I also wanted to be stretched as a performer.  I was thinking Concord or Santa Clara.  I never realized how fortunate I was to be so close to the previous years' second and third place corps.  I went to one rehearsal at BD and it just felt right.  I never made it to an SC practice. 

All I had to do to make the line was beat this guy from the Royalaires, Scott, I think was his name.... uhhh..yeah....

Lucky for me they went with ten snares that year so I made it.  I can't express how much I enjoyed BD 76, just an incredible year.   Thank you Rick Odello, Ron Menke, and Steve Chorazy.  And to Jerry Seawright, thank you for your leadership keeping us moving down the road.

Anyway, now I'm long-winded..  

Thanks for the chat.

Edited by c mor
  • Like 3