If between Bluecoats and BD, what influences your pick?

12 hours ago, c mor said:

That's not long-winded at all.  If you ever see BDCorno post, he played french horn in BD.  I'm sure you guys would have lots to share.

In 74 BD played Chant & Jubilo for their OTL. (Off The Line for youngsters).  Something about the sound...  They did this build up to a sudden halt and then a slow majestic fanfare that always made me think of Ancient Rome - like a soundtrack for Ben Hur.  I think it was the chord structure/voicing.  I dunno, just a drummer....

When I got older, I wanted to be in  a corps that traveled across the country instead of staying on the west coast.  I also wanted to be stretched as a performer.  I was thinking Concord or Santa Clara.  I never realized how fortunate I was to be so close to the previous years' second and third place corps.  I went to one rehearsal at BD and it just felt right.  I never made it to an SC practice. 

All I had to do to make the line was beat this guy from the Royalaires, Scott, I think was his name.... uhhh..yeah....

Lucky for me they went with ten snares that year so I made it.  I can't express how much I enjoyed BD 76, just an incredible year.   Thank you Rick Odello, Ron Menke, and Steve Chorazy.  And to Jerry Seawright, thank you for your leadership keeping us moving down the road.

Anyway, now I'm long-winded..  

Thanks for the chat.

Oh man... 1976 Devils absolutely floored me at finals in Philly that year. Like I said earlier... a game changer.  A new paradigm of what it took to be a championship corps.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Oh man... 1976 Devils absolutely floored me at finals in Philly that year. Like I said earlier... a game changer.  A new paradigm of what it took to be a championship corps.

Not to mention the marching urinals! 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Not to mention the marching urinals! 

The North tenors!!!!

My old DCA team used them for a couple of years. Those things were really heavy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

The North tenors!!!!

My old DCA team used them for a couple of years. Those things were really heavy.

I bet!

• Like 1

Just now, Jurassic Lancer said:

I bet!

Great sound, but a bear to carry.

Thank God I was a French horn player. :tongue:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Great sound, but a bear to carry.

Thank God I was a French horn player. :tongue:

LOL, thank God I was a sop! Sops are friggin’ light, y’ll! 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1