If between Bluecoats and BD, what influences your pick?

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Knights, as usual, is the show you would most like to listen to in a concert hall. I still imagine a year when they win the gold medal because it would be an absolutely mind blowing show.

Totally agree.  I said last night that I don't really care if I see BK again, but I could wear out a CD listening to that book.

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Totally agree.  I said last night that I don't really care if I see BK again, but I could wear out a CD listening to that book.

I might even listen to just the drum track. Not kidding.

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

I might even listen to just the drum track. Not kidding.

Oh, and don't you just LOVE the combination of his writing and those AMAZING Mapex drums?  It's rare to hear a battery sound so much like melted butter.

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Oh, and don't you just LOVE the combination of his writing and those AMAZING Mapex drums?  It's rare to hear a battery sound so much like melted butter.

The Mapex snare sound is so distinctive. It’s so clean, like a gun shot.

Just now, MikeRapp said:

The Mapex snare sound is so distinctive. It’s so clean, like a gun shot.

I've been around since Slingerland, Ludwig, Premier, Pearl, Yamaha, Die-Nasty, and BD's "Fat Boy" and nothing has ever sounded as good as those Mapex snares.

I did play on a Yamaha "Swiss" with double snares top and bottom that came close, but even it comes in second to today's Mapex.

26 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

What’s funny is I feel the exact opposite as you. I’m ready for something fresh from Bluecoats cause the last 3-4 years seen the same to me 😂

I disagree with you here. The Bluecoats are the FRESH in drum corps these days. But I also believe BD continues to be FRESH as well. If BD was still utilizing the style they were using in 2008, I'd say no and maybe it's time to modify, but they shifted gears in 2014 and I have loved it. The present Bluecoats style comes from 2014 as well (Tilt). They have modified it some, and I continue to find their designs fresh and entertaining, and frankly I feel Bluecoats are at the pinnacle of design in the activity (right there with BD). I might throw SCV in there as well. They missed only by a little this year when it comes to design/theme, but otherwise they feel very modern and fresh to me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

I disagree with you here. The Bluecoats are the FRESH in drum corps these days. But I also believe BD continues to be FRESH as well. If BD was still utilizing the style they were using in 2008, I'd say no and maybe it's time to modify, but they shifted gears in 2014 and I have loved it. The present Bluecoats style comes from 2014 as well (Tilt). They have modified it some, and I continue to find their designs fresh and entertaining, and frankly I feel Bluecoats are at the pinnacle of design in the activity (right there with BD). I might throw SCV in there as well. They missed only by a little this year when it comes to design/theme, but otherwise they feel very modern and fresh to me. 

I really love some of the innovative ideas BD has brought to their shows, since Bluecoats began to change the activity. BD’s use of props has changed dramatically. 

I used to criticize BD for reskinning tried and true ideas, but I realize that when you are recruiting new members every year you need to have things that sort of brand who you are. Each successful corps sort of has their things that they do. The big marching and rotating rectangle is something that BD just does really well and it is almost always a central part of their shows. The whirlpool drill is another one that they seem to like to repeat. Of course the big loose park and blow ending scene is in almost every show. It’s just their thing.

Crown has four or five brass things that are in every show. Cavaliers are reviving some of the stuff that made them famous a decade or so ago. Same with Phantom and Cadets. BK will never do a Goliath show let alone Down Side Up, but that’s their identity.

That said, Bluecoats took that massive risk with Down Side Up and swept the season to their first gold medal. Look at the changes throughout the entire activity since then. Even BD has had to respond. Bluecoats are the innovator, but they also own a specific type of style. Many have said it’s sort of the modern version of Scouts and I get that. But it’s also not dissimilar to BD in the 80s. Every year I think, well, the run has to be over, they can’t top what I’ve just seen...and then they come back with yet another show that dares you to consider what the activity could be.

Its not for everyone and I get that. There are aspects of all of the top corps and shows that I can love and respect. 

• Like 7

Originality influences me.  If Bloo wins tonight, 2019 will forever have an * in my mind.  While their show is executed very well, I don't favor it in ANY caption over the 3 others raked below them for most of the year.  Never liked cover bands.  All I hear in my head after they perform  is "and now on to the 2nd half of the Super Bowl where the New England Patriots lead 49 to 3."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Petty and horrible reason:  I would rather see a corps win for the second time than a corps win for the nineteenth time. I just think it’s somehow better for the activity.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1