DCI World Championship Finals - Saturday, August 10, 2019

10 minutes ago, kevingamin said:

My wife is watching from home and it’s bad on Flo, even on the Roku app.

I was getting occasional freezes watching high cam on my desktop during Phantom, so I switched to my laptop, and had no problems for Crossmen.

Wow....thank you Crossmen, for making me a Crossmen super-fan! Loved this show allll summer long! :thumbup:

Edited by POSITIVenrgy
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

It is kind of weird. It's happened a few times before. Maybe they both got the idea from the same place?

A lot of groups have jumped aboard the "Hurt" train back when Johnny Cash recorded a cover of it in the 2000s.  It seems like a lot of hidden gem songs have gained popularity from cover albums. I can think of Peter Gabriel as another example.  There was a two part compilation titled "Scratch My Back" and "And I'll Scratch Yours." One was an album of him doing covers of other artists, and the other was an album of other artists doing covers of his music.  Some music from these albums have also been used in the marching arts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kevingamin said:

Mandarins did march a full line last year, but I think they find they’re not as useful in a full brass line like drum corps than when they’re featured. I find I can’t hear them when the full corps is playing and, to me, you might as well just use baritones at that point.

Also, visual designers don't like them because they limit vertical space due to the pokey slides. This is probably why there are also some BOA powerhouses that don't march trombones at all except for features.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kevingamin said:

This section after the tribal chant is the most Andrew Markworth sounding section to my ears. That’s not a bad thing. I love his writing.

I thought his enigma show for Crossmen was really nice.

• Like 1

Next on the field is the Mandarins from Sacramento, California. Here is their 2019 program information, courtesy of Drum Corps Xperience:

Subterra

Ritual and Discovery by Key Poulan | Ike Jackson
On the Shoulders of Giants by Peter Graham
Truman Sleeps by Philip Glass
Allure by Key Poulan
Run, Boy, Run by Yoann Lemoine | Ambroise Willaume
Sacrifice by Key Poulan | Ike Jackson