DCI World Championship Finals - Saturday, August 10, 2019

15 minutes ago, bgg80 said:

How could that be???   When was the last head-to-head Chumley score?

Well ... BD's performance was different than the last time he judged; and BC's performance was different than the last time he judged. Maybe that could be it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jasgre2000 said:

Well ... BD's performance was different than the last time he judged; and BC's performance was different than the last time he judged. Maybe that could be it?

Stop introducing rational thought into DCP.  Someone's head might explode.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

And I think Mandarins posted the best 10th ever.  

Wow! I missed that. You're right!

The record was held for a long long time by the 1988 Suncoast Sound with 89.10 -- that was their rather weird "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child" show. (Back when it was unusual for a show to even have a title.)

Mandarins just eclipsed it with an 89.30.

More on Suncoast Sound's show here:

https://www.dci.org/news/download-of-the-week-1988-suncoast-sound

26 minutes ago, garfield said:

You have no idea what's coming.

No, I mean literally, you have no idea what's coming.

I would suggest everyone hold their 2020 predictions for a couple of weeks...

Just going to quote this post once more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Actually, they can change their scores, so we don't truly know whether or not JP gave Vanguard a 20 before seeing BD.

Yes, but it seems like that's the exception rather than the rule. The only reason a judge would change their score is if they didn't "leave enough room" to properly slot a corps that went on earlier in the night. I don't think there has ever been a corps that went on earlier than last that's ever got a perfect score, and under the current system there will likely never be one. That will effect every score going all the way down to 12th. If judges feel free to give a 10.0 to the last corps, but not to any earlier corps, that gives the corps going into finals in first place a huge advantage.

This does effect every score going down to the bottom. For example, if you are judging the corps that goes 6th to last, you know that the highest score you can give is a 9.7 (since you have to leave 5 half points ahead of them to "leave room" for the remaining corps). This is why slotting happens.

Edited by jasgre2000

10 minutes ago, bgg80 said:

I was being ... polite.   I had enough of the “panel is stacked for Bluecoats ... Bluecoats are going to win going away”.   Come on. It was going to be super close. And BD on finals night = clutch.  

Data analysis is better when you have more data to see a trend.  3 of those judges never judged both corps in the same show.   And the others didn't judge both very much either.   When there isn't enough data,  it's a "best guess".   Best that can be done under these circumstances.  It's for fun, to see how close you can get.

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Wow! I missed that. You're right!

The record was held for a long long time by the 1988 Suncoast Sound with 89.10 -- that was their rather weird "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child" show. (Back when it was unusual for a show to even have a title.)

Mandarins just eclipsed it with an 89.30.

More on Suncoast Sound's show here:

https://www.dci.org/news/download-of-the-week-1988-suncoast-sound

That show was way ahead of its time in terms of creativity.