DCI World Championship Finals - Saturday, August 10, 2019

1 minute ago, jasgre2000 said:

Yes, but it seems like that's the exception rather than the rule. The only reason a judge would change their score is if they didn't "leave enough room" to properly slot a corps that went on earlier in the night. I don't think there has ever been a corps that went on earlier than last that's ever got a perfect score, and under the current system there will likely never be one. That will effect every score going all the way down to 12th. If judges feel free to give a 10.0 to the last corps, but not to any earlier corps, that gives the corps going into finals in first place a huge advantage.

Not unless you're good enough. 

5 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Yes, but it seems like that's the exception rather than the rule. The only reason a judge would change their score is if they didn't "leave enough room" to properly slot a corps that went on earlier in the night. I don't think there has ever been a corps that went on earlier than last that's ever got a perfect score, and under the current system there will likely never be one. That will effect every score going all the way down to 12th. If judges feel free to give a 10.0 to the last corps, but not to any earlier corps, that gives the corps going into finals in first place a huge advantage.

This does effect every score going down to the bottom. For example, if you are judging the corps that goes 6th to last, you know that the highest score you can give is a 9.7 (since you have to leave 5 half points ahead of them to "leave room" for the remaining corps). This is why slotting happens.

judges have given 10's to corps performing earlier after adjusting scores. it happens. Hell Boston got a 10 in guard

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Well ... BD's performance was different than the last time he judged; and BC's performance was different than the last time he judged. Maybe that could be it?

Who do you think you are using common sense? You got alot of nerve. You better start getting with the program buddy. BD won, which means we destroy the credibility of judges who put them on top. Mods need to ban you quickly with all this common sense garbage.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

We almost had that tonight with Boston's guard. The fact that they popped a 19.9 in the 6th slot is ridonculous.

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

judges have given 10's to corps performing earlier after adjusting scores. it happens. Hell Boston got a 10 in guard

Of course it happens sometimes. Everyone knew going in that Boston's guard would compete for the top (and everyone knew that Crown would compete for the brass title and that SCV would compete for tops in percussion). But as a general matter, judges have to "leave room" for the corps that perform later, which artificially deflates the scores of the corps that go on earlier. If they waited to score until everyone had performed, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Edited by jasgre2000

22 minutes ago, bgg80 said:

So where does the kids’ achievement and performance level come into play?  BD showed major improvement all season.  I saw them early on in CA. SCV was clearly better.  Interesting note — for that 7/22 — both GE judges “flipped”: Stone in Finals and Dillon in Semis.  🤔

The other 3 GE judges disagreed.

I just returned to my hotel, and I do think Bloo should have won, but this is not the first time a favorite show has placed second when the audience thought it should be first. Santa Clara’s 1987 show is still have favorite. I suppose Bloo joins a pretty illustrious group: corps that place second that so many believe should have been first: 

Phantom 1978 and 1979

27th Lancers 1980

Phantom 1989 (since SCV 1989 is a show I love equally to Phantom 89, I was happy either way)

Star of Indiana 1993

Cadets 2007

Carolina Crown 2009

Carolina Crown 2012

Edited by Tim K

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

I just returned to my hotel, and I do think Bloo should have won, but this is not the first time a corps has been undefeated all season until finals week. Santa Clara’s 1987 show is still have favorite. I suppose Bloo joins a pretty illustrious group: corps that place second that so many believe should have been first: 

Phantom 1978 and 1979

27th Lancers 1980

Phantom 1989 (since SCV 1989 is a show I love equally to Phantom 89, I was happy either way)

Star of Indiana 1993

Cadets 2007

Carolina Crown 2009

Carolina Crown 2012

Bluecoats were not undefeated before finals week this year.

• Like 1