DCI World Championship Finals - Saturday, August 10, 2019

Just now, BlueByYou2000 said:

Easy, because they never beat them until tonight. So not sure the total head to head matchups, but when SCV drums go undefeated all year its pretty hard to debate another line being better. But miraculously tonight they lose. clearly there undefeated season up until tonight means nothing 

Not necessarily, they still won the Sanford.

6 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

I want drum corps fans to be drawn in and feel part of the scoring process by having a 1-3 point scoring caption for "fan favorite".  This has nothing to do with TV as it would be part of the sheets for every DCI show.

THIS................is drum corps international!

sounds like a popularity contest to me.

But not surprised a madison alum would be suggesting something as silly as this, that corps is after basically known for fan favorite shows. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

Yes, we got it, BD won drums tonight, but....it's a consensus across the activity the Vanguard is the superior program in percussion top to bottom not only this season, but the last 4 seasons. There is no question BD played their ##### off tonight. SCV has been undefeated on drums the last 2-3 years, so yes....BD should take pride in beating SCV tonight, but at the end of the day, Vanguard takes home the drum trophy. Score board.

Absolutely!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, year1buick said:

Then why bother with a final, judged competition if you’re only going to base who should win on earlier scores?

Because the sample size all season spoke for itself and the way they award the caption, SCV wins. By the way. BD lost drums to the Cadets finals night in 1994. So should we take that title away? No, because they average the score of the 3 or wait 2 nights. BD lucked out it rained out in the quarter finals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

Yes, we got it, BD won drums tonight, but....it's a consensus across the activity the Vanguard is the superior program in percussion top to bottom not only this season, but the last 4 seasons. There is no question BD played their ##### off tonight. SCV has been undefeated on drums the last 2-3 years, so yes....BD should take pride in beating SCV tonight, but at the end of the day, Vanguard takes home the drum trophy. Score board.

I guess you don’t understand that I’m one of those people that think SCV has the best percussion program. In reality though, I think Rennick’s program is the best in DCI and have thought that for 10+ years now. He just happens to be at SCV now but I LOVED his Phantom lines back in the day.

All I’m saying is that it’s stupid to think SCV can’t get beaten EVER! I prefer Rennick but there’s this Hall of Famer out there going by that name of Scott Johnson who happens to put together a decent percussion program each year too...

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You're the one complaining, the burden of proof is on you. 

Really man? Theres nothing to prove! SCV has 1 loss in drums this year which happened tonight. What exactly do I need to prove? That they didn’t lose prior? Is that what your really asking? Good lord man, if you don't already know that fact, i don't need to spend my night educating you. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Incorrect. I'm proposing a fan app vote that accounts for 1-3 points and a caption award for "fan favorite".

My wife sings in two choruses which compete at the international level. Judging is in many ways similar to that of DCI in terms of captions, skill analysis, showmanship, etc. like DCI judging is done by a panel of judges who judge a single and specific caption area and who direct their entire attention to that caption for the entire performance (something few fans ever do). 

Similar to DC, their performances are meant to entertain, in addition to being a skill based competition. What they do to acknowledge this is provide 100 randomly selected audience members ballots where they can vote for an “audience favorite”. The winner gets an award, which is highly coveted by competing choruses. BUT ... THE FAN FAVORITE VOTING HAS NO INFLUENCE ON THE COMPETITION TO DETERMINE WHO IS THE WORLD CHAMPION. That is determined by the judging panel alone. 

Were DCI to adopt a similar system I’d fully support it. But when fan opinion is figured into determining the champion the competition would become much more subjective, much less skill oriented, and much less meaningful. 

Edited by Photographer Jim
Typo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BlueByYou2000 said:

Really man? Theres nothing to prove! SCV has 1 loss in drums this year which happened tonight. What exactly do I need to prove? That they didn’t lose prior? Is that what your really asking? Good lord man, if you don't already know that fact, i don't need to spend my night educating you. 

Nope not what I was asking you to prove at all. But I can see you're still hurt and a little angsty right now so I'm not going to engage any further. Hope you feel better soon

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

sounds like a popularity contest to me.

But not surprised a madison alum would be suggesting something as silly as this, that corps is after basically known for fan favorite shows. 

YES! You just made my point. Fan favorites and popularity need to contribute to the corps score.

Just now, Cappybara said:

Nope not what I was asking you to prove at all. But I can see you're still hurt and a little angsty right now so I'm not going to engage any further. Hope you feel better soon

Nice back track jack. You have a good night yourself. 

• Sad 1