DCI World Championship Finals - Saturday, August 10, 2019

7 hours ago, Rylan said:

Funny thing about echo chambers is that everyone already agrees with each other. So yeah, I guess “so many” believe Bloo should’ve won in your world. But I’m sure every BD/SCV/etc. fan would make that same observation about their corps’ show. 

First, I don’t recall saying Bloo was “my corps” and I am not an anti-Blue Devils crank. I said they join a group of corps that have placed second that many thought should have won. Many times the runner up corps is the popular corps. If you look at the list, it goes back to the days of tics, so it is not a new phenomenon. It is also not every 2nd place corps. Sometimes runners up deserved to win, other times they were lucky to have placed as high, but when .087 separates one corps from another, I don’t think disagreeing is an echo chamber of people agreeing with one another if they supported Bloo over BD.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I don’t ever want dci to be a reality tv show when it comes to voting. I believe the method of voting is largely a self fulfilling prophecy, but no way should this activity be turned into a popularity contest.

Well, it certainly is incestuous.  The corps design and write the rules, then design and perform a show to those rules.

Just like ice skating, Jay Kennedy, and Jeff Prosperie only the best of an activity can accurately judge it.

14 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, it certainly is incestuous.  The corps design and write the rules, then design and perform a show to those rules.

Just like ice skating, Jay Kennedy, and Jeff Prosperie only the best of an activity can accurately judge it.

It is what it is. As you well know, I find the method of scoring in dci to be laughably predictable and equally absurd, but I can’t really come up with a better system given the unique constraints of this activity. The whole “start in the 70s and end in the high 90s, every corps magically gets incrementally better every single night” is intellectually insulting. But I get it, I understand what is going on, and as I said I don’t know how you would make it better other than to add more judges, and better qualified judges, and not just drag out the same old guys to judge Finals every year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Btw it seems one of my local guys is starting to judge dci, the band director at Franklin, who is a Phantom alum. Pretty cool. I think Leitzke is also a Nashvillian.

2 minutes ago, bgg80 said:

And let’s bring Finals back to California to kick off the popularity score caption!   🤔

Bring finals to Nissan Stadium, and have Music City win a medal!

Just like that, it's over.  Wow.  What a season.  What a night.  What a quarterfinals.  What a semifinals.  What a finals.  What a fight for the top.  Awestruck at the talent from top to bottom this year.  Here's my thoughts on finals week.  Thanks for another amazing season, I'm probably gonna sign off for the most part for awhile.  Life is about to get crazy, but I had fun following the season again with you all.  

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Btw it seems one of my local guys is starting to judge dci, the band director at Franklin, who is a Phantom alum. Pretty cool. I think Leitzke is also a Nashvillian.

And my Knoxvillian brother is starting trials, too.

What are you guys drinking in TN?