DCI World Championship Finals - Saturday, August 10, 2019

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You consider that smack talk?! You don't watch sports much do you! All I see are people cheering for the corps that they like. No one said anything about "wow this other guard sucks." 

If you got offended by any of those posts, then maybe it's time to go find a safe space. 

I watch hours of sports year round, except the No Basketball Allowed league, but very seldom does the viewer actually hear what players are saying to each other.  No, I don't consider those comments real smack talk Cappy.    No profanity, nothing about anyone's sex life, parents, relatives, girl/boy friends, etc.  Just the shock and surprises that BD didn't win the Z.  Maybe a judge or two might be upset that they were told on DCP that they suck.

21 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

it's Sunday but I'm still really annoyed at the "BLUE........coats" announcement. 

it was unacceptable.

There was buzz in the stadium something like that was going to happen. Whether it was a guess or a known fact, I do not know. 

29 minutes ago, pistolpete said:

So the finals run shouldn’t count for anything? More judges should be like JP and call it like they see it. 

SCV won the percussion caption, so yes, they are in fact the best percussion of the 2019 season.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, pistolpete said:

Completely agree. Finals night is no time to get cute. 

....except for a one-time pass on "......Drum CORPSE International is proud to present......"

• Like 2

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Is this another example of "settled science"?  A "consensus" of drummers?  Pashaw.  Not even close. 

Confirmation bias is a real thing.  Just ask a group of drummers...

Talking to other cap heads (WGI/DCI) and other ex corps drummers count? 

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Hmm you gave us spreads, not scores. So to say your predictions were only 1% off is being disingenuous. A monkey could've gotten within 1% by those parameters. You didn't predict anything. In fact you were very insistent that this panel was so biased to Bloo that it was inevitable that they would win. 

This.

Any simple method, completely independent of who the judges were, could have done much better.

For example, just repeating the spread from the previous evening, which most any mammal could have thought of, would have blown his prediction out of the water.

A monkey, being one of the smartest mammals, might have thought to simply average the spreads from prelims and semis to predict finals.  Having roughly the same intelligence as a monkey, I applied this method and it only missed by 6.25 hundredths of a point.  His method was off by 100 hundredths of a point, which is 16 times worse.

That's just bananas.

• Haha 1

By the way, I want to say I'm not bashing the Blue Devil's accomplishments this season. They deserve the title. I thought the show was well conceived and executed brilliantly. Bluecoats peaked and the Blue Devils had more room to barely max out the show. BD peaked at the right time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Guess what's considered smack talk has been reclassified.

I tend to think that "smack talk" includes the denigration of one's opponent. The quotes you pulled were all warm toward BD's guard but said nothing derogatory about BAC's guard.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

What a friggin night. The very best of every corps and the crowd ate it up like waffles. Someone mentioned in another post it'll get even better in 2020. How true. 

Better ... or different? Isn't this a year in which the Januals include consideration of rule changes? If so, an opportunity for DCI to shake up the system again. Maybe they'll require everyone to march trombones.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

13 hours ago, Taylor Levun-Chard said:

watching The Blue Coats perform "The Bluecoats."

Next year, in recognition of their pioneering use of technology, they'll rename themselves the "Blu  e-coats".

• Like 1