DCI World Championship Finals - Saturday, August 10, 2019

2 hours ago, pistolpete said:

Completely agree. Finals night is no time to get cute. 

DCI should have canned Crocker when he started using the stupid gravelly voice when announcing the corps name. Hes awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I tend to think that "smack talk" includes the denigration of one's opponent. The quotes you pulled were all warm toward BD's guard but said nothing derogatory about BAC's guard.

It’s too funny!

Edited by jaylogan

2 hours ago, wigwam said:

I’m always depressed the day after finals.   It’s all over till next year.  

Its like fall, when everything is dying.   

Kidding?  Really?

As of today I can have my life back.  Spring, baby!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

<snip>

Guess what's considered smack talk has been reclassified.

These are GREAT comments!  I'm really glad there was so much love.

I'm a drummer and I admit that I spent most of my time watching Brandon and his pals.  But I commented during the show that their guard was spectacular.  My highly-qualified brother said that, less than 5 minutes into their show, he knew they'd stolen it and won.  He call .35 spread.

I've warmed seats and benches for lots of decades and I just wasn't paying attention if there was a better guard performance in my memories for BD than this one.  They're always technically good but, Saturday from section 240 and on my fourth viewing, RIFLES EVERY-FREAKING-WHERE and absolutely mirroring each other in all three dimensions and in speed.  I was mesmerized and they stole my gaze from the battery many, many times.  I did best using an old pilot technique of keeping my scan moving from side to side because they were throwing and spinning from 10 to 10.  

I'm glad you made your point about the love and I'm glad to know that I wasn't being naive and shallow at being bedazzled by them.

After all, I'm a drummer.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

DCI should have canned Crocker when he started using the stupid gravelly voice when announcing the corps name. Hes awful.

Despite the fact that hearing my corps name announced by Crocker on Saturday night was one of my life goals, I have to agree. The gravelly voice has always been dumb. I miss the way he used to just say "Blue Devils" or "Santa Clara Vanguard," not "Santa Clara VangaAAARRRRRRRRRD."

Edited by jeffmolnar

51 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

If DCI has a problem with it, I'm sure he would change if they asked him to.  He is a professional with long experience.  This obsession people have with "canning" others is disturbing.  

Personally, I have always liked it.  It adds energy and fits into the excitement of the atmosphere.  

• Like 6

Just checked out the recaps again, and I've come to the conclusion that Michael Stone's GE scores were pretty much the main reason why we didn't see a flip between 1st and 2nd, or between 3rd and 4th.

It's not quite as obvious when you see his scores for BD and Bloo (although he was the only GE judge to put BD in 1st), but the scores he gave SCV and Crown are outliers compared to the rest of the GE panel.

Whether you agree with him or not is totally up to you, but at this point, I don't care. Time for me to stop talking about scores and enjoy the rest of this mini-offseason before the staff announcements start happening.