DCI World Championship Finals - Saturday, August 10, 2019

What if ???????

What if the finals awards show had only two corps break 90?  What if fully half of the corps had penalties?  What if the fans registered their disapproval of the scores?  What if the awards show was hosted by a game show host?  Go to YouTube and search for the 1976 awards show and then the 1975 awards show..... it wasn't all that long ago......oh wait.....yes it was !!!  Enjoy.

On 8/10/2019 at 9:39 PM, Glenn426 said:

Cavies in their uniforms... I wonder if they know what's coming and wanted to be in the Uniforms tonight....

What?

On 8/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, mfrontz said:

You have to do it that way. Can't give a perfect score with two corps to go. What if one is better?

The judges have given BD 10's in rep a few times in the last six years even when they performed second to last. And Boston got a 10 in guard rep going on 6th to last this year. Makes no sense, but that's DCI judging for you.

Edited by tommynev

I could never be a judge because of personal biases and favorites.  However, I think one of the problems with GE judging is that GE judges  cling too tightly to a check the boxes philosophy/approach and are not able to reward performances that are so inspired that flaws are diminished.  I think this was true for Crown’s performance on Saturday.  The only time I believe judges rewarded a performance that soared beyond design flaws was Phantom Regiment in 2008.  There may have been others, but I can’t think of any at the moment.  

29 minutes ago, tommynev said:

The judges have given BD 10's in rep a few times in the last six years even when they performed second to last. And Boston got a 10 in guard rep going on 6th to last this year. Makes no sense, but that's DCI judging for you.

The judges hold their numbers for each block. They can adjust accordingly.

But that's DCP for you

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Algernon said:

The judges hold their numbers for each block. They can adjust accordingly.

But that's DCP for you

How long has that been an option? We used to get the yellow carbon paper copy of judges sheets that had specific #'s and comments on them. 

1 hour ago, tommynev said:

And Boston got a 10 in guard rep going on 6th to last this year. Makes no sense, but that's DCI judging for you.

And we're told judges are to treat every show like a first look.  In 18, Boston's guard, with four more corps to go, was given an 9.85 in substance.

On 8/10/2019 at 10:39 PM, Glenn426 said:

Cavies in their uniforms... I wonder if they know what's coming and wanted to be in the Uniforms tonight....

No, Cavaliers have worn that uniform at retreat in previous years.

• Like 1