DCI World Championship Finals - Saturday, August 10, 2019

2 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

A lot of groups have jumped aboard the "Hurt" train back when Johnny Cash recorded a cover of it in the 2000s.  It seems like a lot of hidden gem songs have gained popularity from cover albums. I can think of Peter Gabriel as another example.  There was a two part compilation titled "Scratch My Back" and "And I'll Scratch Yours." One was an album of him doing covers of other artists, and the other was an album of other artists doing covers of his music.  Some music from these albums have also been used in the marching arts.

Scratch my Back is where SCV got their take on My Body is a Cage last year.   I fully expect to see more of that stuff appear in shows, there's some great stuff in how he handles those tunes.   I could see someone do his take on Book of Love for a ballad.  

• Like 1

Nice intro by the brass into On The Shoulders Of Giants. Love this arrangement.

4 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

I can think of Peter Gabriel as another example.  There was a two part compilation titled "Scratch My Back" and "And I'll Scratch Yours." One was an album of him doing covers of other artists, and the other was an album of other artists doing covers of his music.  Some music from these albums have also been used in the marching arts.

He also released an album called "New Blood" that reimagines some of his own songs in the style of the songs from "Scratch My Back."

(EDIT: @KVG_DC beat me to the punch on "My Body Is A Cage")

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

Just now, kevingamin said:

Next on the field is the Mandarins from Sacramento, California. Here is their 2019 program information, courtesy of Drum Corps Xperience:

Subterra

Ritual and Discovery by Key Poulan | Ike Jackson
On the Shoulders of Giants by Peter Graham
Truman Sleeps by Philip Glass
Allure by Key Poulan
Run, Boy, Run by Yoann Lemoine | Ambroise Willaume
Sacrifice by Key Poulan | Ike Jackson

Ike Jackson marched 4th bass drum for the legendary 1994 Blue Devils, same line had Sean Vega - RCC and Roger Carter - Bluecoats

• Like 2

I love how many guards do full all rifles at some point in their shows.

• Like 1

Man, pit is playing a TON of notes! It’s like the percussion version of British brass band!

Oh well, audio / video stiff off several milliseconds.

Nice rifles