Start time for Finals - FLO rant

21 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

Yes I know it's on Flo Marching. But I don't see ab option to watch just tonight's event. It is only showing me an option to purchase a year subscription for $150 which obviously I'm not going to pay $150 to watch Finals.

there is no per event. buy a month or the year.

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Then I can get a bigger tv that is internet ready and use home WiFi. 

Can I suggest keeping the "internet ready" and TV functions on separate devices?

With "smart" TVs, you are relying on the TV manufacturer to keep your "smartness" up to date. Two TV generations down the road, and they decide to drop support for their old stuff, and you are stuck with a dumb TV.

I'd rather pay for a dumb tv (cheaper), and then use a dedicated internet streaming piece of hardware which will either have more frequently updated firmware, or be easier (and cheaper) to replace in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Precious Roy said:

Can I suggest keeping the "internet ready" and TV functions on separate devices?

With "smart" TVs, you are relying on the TV manufacturer to keep your "smartness" up to date. Two TV generations down the road, and they decide to drop support for their old stuff, and you are stuck with a dumb TV.

I'd rather pay for a dumb tv (cheaper), and then use a dedicated internet streaming piece of hardware which will either have more frequently updated firmware, or be easier (and cheaper) to replace in the future.

agree - use the TV/monitor as a display for your computer and you will be better off -- without an easy typing interface, a smart TV is really frustrating --

most people are going to stick their cable box on the display and call it good - more people do not use the smart TV aspect of it -- for internet stuff we use our computers -- connect computer to TV via hdmi for best results - sound from computer goes into stereo - voila!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok have FLO and actually have made time in my real life to watch at home. With exception of few minutes here and there using my tablet have not see DCI this year. Last year watched most of a regional and that was it. So interested to see for myself what is being done and the crowd reaction.

BUT... freaking FLO do not list a start time. Go to schedule and you get yesterday’s corps times. Click for Finals and get login screen.

So for you folks in the know what are the start/end times for tonight...

thanks

Jim, it's really simple.  Go in expecting that Flo will give you low quality service and you won't be disappointed. They know they have a captive audience and they're the only game in town. Not much motivation to produce a quality product.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tedrick said:

most people are going to stick their cable box on the display and call it good - more people do not use the smart TV aspect of it -- for internet stuff we use our computers -- connect computer to TV via hdmi for best results - sound from computer goes into stereo - voila!

Note to self... forget looking at smart tv and concentrate on tv speakers for smallish living room.

lol have tv HDMI cable to older laptop and house WiFi. Have two laptops but since I got tablet and smart phone only use laptops for tv hookup and file storage (disc backup is a must for me).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

For me, Flow app via Apple TV on a Sony Bravia connected to Audioengine speakers is a reliable solution for DCI.

• Like 1