Carolina Crown 2020

Just now, KakkoiiOtaku said:

This was Erin's first year, and the guard was on the younger side.  I know her, and know her work Ethic.  They were great this year and will be even better next year. 🙂

honestly I don't think it was Erin.  that flag work looked like rick's.  Erin is the right person to lead CrownGuard back to the top.  

• Like 1

I’m hoping they don’t throw out the baby with the bath water.  They came within less than a tenth of medaling.  But beyond that, there were some extremely memorable things about the 2019 show.  I hope they embrace those things again!  

• Like 3

With 2019 being more akin to 2013 or 2017 in character favoring a more abstract concept versus a story-based show, should 2020 be concept-based or have a more rigid storyline? Of course, a marriage of the two worked beautifully in 2013, but which do y'all think Crown does better? I kind of like quirky Crown better (more virtuosic music, "THE DETAIL OF THE PATTERN IS MOVEMENT", Einstein on the Beach, "I KNOW YOU!"), but I know they can sell a solid storyline too. Interested to see what the designers cook up. I'd love to see Crown back on the podium though.

Edited by CrownedSantaPhantom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommeee said:

I’m hoping they don’t throw out the baby with the bath water.  They came within less than a tenth of medaling.  But beyond that, there were some extremely memorable things about the 2019 show.  I hope they embrace those things again!  

And only did so because of some questionable numbers from two specific judges.  And it's taking everything I have to NOT lash out at one in particular.  But, I must remain professional.  Plus, then I'd also have to go to Confession for that.  I'd rather just control myself.  lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CrownedSantaPhantom said:

With 2019 being more akin to 2013 or 2017 in character favoring a more abstract concept versus a story-based show, should 2020 be concept-based or have a more rigid storyline? Of course, a marriage of the two worked beautifully in 2013, but which do y'all think Crown does better? I kind of like quirky Crown better (more virtuosic music, "THE DETAIL OF THE PATTERN IS MOVEMENT", Einstein on the Beach, "I KNOW YOU!"), but I know they can sell a solid storyline too. Interested to see what the designers cook up. I'd love to see Crown back on the podium though.

I'm all in on the quirky, abstract stuff.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Absolutely.  If I had time I'd go back and quote all those DCP expert opinions saying Crown was a lock for 6th -- BAC and Cavies will pass them for sure.  No need for drastic direction changes.  Just some adjustments here and there 🙂 

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

I just want Crown to keep going with whatever they did this year.  Crown is always my favorite show every year with the exception of last year because Santa Clara was just a once in a lifetime kind of show.  But, this is the first time Crown has felt like they are back to what they were before the Great Staff Exodus of 2016.  And, everyone noticed.  So many people compared this show to 2013 or 2015 ... arguably two of the best shows Crown has ever made.  Whatever direction they decided to go with this show ... keep it up, Crown!  This show was so special, regardless of the placement!

• Like 4

Rick is sooo much better at abstract and thought-inducing shows, just look at the shows he creates for Paramount. Keep doing your thing Rick!

5 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Rick is sooo much better at abstract and thought-inducing shows, just look at the shows he creates for Paramount. Keep doing your thing Rick!

That's fine.  Let's just remember we're writing for OUTDOOR not INDOOR!   Take "transparency" to it's maximal effect and you disappear.  Too much disappearing on the field in 2019.  Sometimes it's just worth it to be obvious (big contrast between guard uniform and rest of corps and flag writing that just emphasizes the obvious musical lines).  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2