Carolina Crown 2020

6 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

If the design team can make a show as good as they did this year, they’ll probably get fourth (or maybe worse) again. I loved this show to pieces, don’t get me wrong. But at the rate that corps have been improving over the past few years (I loved all but 2 of the shows in finals this year, and there were tons of corps that didn’t make finals that had awesome shows), Crown will need to step up their game if they want to medal (or hopefully win). 

While I’d love to see another show like Inferno or Relentless, I don’t think this design team would be able to pull it off. They need to go all in on what works for them: slightly abstract shows with insane marching and playing. If they picked a theme that was still abstract, but more relatable, I think they would have a very good shot at medaling. 

Here’s a theme idea I think would work:

Change: something about what it’s like to grow up and become something new. Everyone goes through that in their life, so pretty relatable. They could possibly relate it to the seasons as well. This would also be a kind of meta show, since Crown has been changing a lot lately. Also, maybe they could play Firebird? It’s been awhile since we’ve seen that on the field, and CrownBRASS could easily pull it off. It would kinda fit, since the Phoenix rises from the ashes and all that. 

First of all -- disagree with you on two points.  

1) This team could absolutely do Relentless or Inferno.  I'm glad they're not.

2) They were basically tied with SCV.  They've been 3 - 4 - 4 the past 3 seasons.  They don't need to worry about "a good shot at medaling".  

Anyway.. about design:

It's all about pressing the STOP button and saying "What happens if I max out this effect?"  

This year's show used transparency as a primary visual effect.  Really cool idea intellectually and on a small stage (like WGI) it probably works incredibly well.  But on a big stage,  transparency maxed about means you CAN'T SEE IT !!  Not a very smart decision for a football field.  While many things do move well from indoor to outdoor,  one key aspect that does not is subtle visual effects.  You need high contrast, bold effect so the effect POPS off the field.  

Also consider who's writing your drill!  The guard will be insanely integrated into forms.  They need to stand out. 

Even in the most abstract show,  visual elements need to freaking obvious.   

Also -- it's ok to write flag work that just follows the accents and impacts, especially when a musical phrase is ending.  It's what the GE judges expect to see.  Don't expect credit for writing to an inside part or subtle counterpoint.  Just doesn't happen -- even in DCI.  If the music is soaring,  YOU BETTER SOAR!  Be.  Freaking.  Obvious.

This design team has also writing concepts that are self-referential (where in the end the show is about the performers, drum corps, etc...).  This a BAD IDEA.  Resist it with all your might.  It's so #### appealing to be clever and recursive and 99.9999% it always falls short.  Stick to an external concept and don't try to be too clever. 

This team is VERY CLOSE.   Yeah as Crownies we want gold every year.  But there are other teams out there that have good shows too 🙂

That is all.  (for now :peek: ) 

Edited by karuna
  • Like 4

Just now, Incognito365 said:

I need an entire show based around 2009s Puck One or 2010s Danzón No. 2. Something like that.

Awe man I love me some Danzón.

It would not surprise me to see Crown go find another odd corner of music again.  Love to hear them explore South American composers.  Or how about Baltic composers?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, karuna said:

It would not surprise me to see Crown go find another odd corner of music again.  Love to hear them explore South American composers.  Or how about Baltic composers?  

I would be happy with an entire Bucimis esque show. Just give me back what made me fall in love with Crown in the first place!!!

• Like 3

All is right with the world, and it’s only the first day of the 2020 season...

InCOG’s denunciation of all things DCI lasted < 24 hrs., and K is still exquisitely erudite.

I’ve now got enough enthusiasm to power through another H.S. bando season🤓

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nsxanax said:

InCOG’s denunciation of all things DCI lasted < 24 hrs., and K is still exquisitely erudite.

You should be excited!!   It's no easy thing to write a Gold-Medal-Worthy show but I have no doubt CrownDesign is closing in on the mark.   (And I'm probably too hard on the guard staff.  However -- In My Mind  -- they have a tremendous legacy to live up to!) 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, karuna said:

You should be excited!!   It's no easy thing to write a Gold-Medal-Worthy show but I have no doubt CrownDesign is closing in on the mark.   (And I'm probably too hard on the guard staff.  However -- In My Mind  -- they have a tremendous legacy to live up to!) 

K, are you by chance a motivational speaker, at least as a side hustle?

If not, you’re leaving a ton of $$ on the table.

And I couldn’t agree more with your observation: they’ve had some phenomenal Guards, and I sure hope to see another one.

Soon.🏳️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Just back from Indy after spending 5 days there to enjoy the various celebrations, attend all the shows, check Crown rehearsals and to celebrate a great season for Crown.

All I can say is the performance last night was "one for the ages." The corp pulled out three in a row. Great performance followed by greater performance followed by greatest performance. The audience agreed. Crown was on fire last night (and I am not just fanboying here). The staff even felt this was the strongest series of Crown performance ever with last night being "epic." Not a dry eye back stage and major cheers from all knowing they left it all out on the field... this was all before the scores were announced.

There have been many on this forum who were quick to dismiss, assign to 6th place, question the staff ability to deliver a final refined product or worse. You were wrong. They came within a hares breath of bronze, won brass AND music three nights in a row... and best of all WON THE AUDIENCE. CROWN is the corps EVRYONE was talking about last night. CROWN blew the lid off of Lucas Oil... how bout that last 90 seconds, Gabriels Oboe, Opening statement... Standing O, Standing O, Standing O. Ask the members if they were happy with the show and they will tell you... they LOVED the show and the LOVED performing this and working hard to deliver on the promise of the show... which they did in spades last night.

So for all the season long supporters... thank you for helping to keep the naysayers and trolls at bay... I am talking about you @karuna, @Incognito365, @nsxanax. I have enjoyed your thoughtful commentary all season including your unvarnished concerns when warranted. 

For the folks who just want to come in and #### on our Wheaties and act like trolls... I'm sorry but you need to go elsewhere because all your negativity will not keep the true Crown fans from supporting our corps. And by the way... HE CAME HOME. THE OTT CAME HOME WHERE IT BELONGS. We were no where near 6th place and that 3rd place that was long gone... well we got it. Even if the score did not reflect it. 

I have mentioned before many times the how special this group of members were, their commitment, thier genuine enjoyment of the show and each other and how they have on more thane occasion shown the strength of their character... their heart. Well, what I have seen glimpses of all season in rehearsal and performances was on full display for the world last night. I would not trade this corps or this staff for anything else... because if we did we would not have had last night... and last night... mark my words... was a performance people will be talking about decades from now.

Thank you to all the true believer here for making this an enjoyable summer of sharing the highs and lows of this epic season and this very magical drum corps. 

It's not a problem, no need for thanks. I've been put through the ring with this show this year, but it all came together at the right time and right place. No matter how upset I was on Saturday (probably more than I should have been), it still doesn't take away from what was basically another Cinderella story for the Crown organization. As a Crownie for 12 years now (has it REALLY been that long?!), I couldn't have been more proud of the performance this group of kids threw down on Saturday night!

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I’ve been that person and I have no interest in being that person if I can help it, which is one reason I always use my real name in all public forums. Keeps me honest and accountable.

I'm a bit of a private person (only a few on here even know my first name), so I'd rather not, but I know some of my band kids read my posts on here so I typically try to keep it cordial. There have been times that someone gets under my skin though so I have to let a little cray out. Lol.

3 hours ago, nsxanax said:

I was done for the night. I'm waiting to see where the activity goes next season to make a final decision. Lol.

3 hours ago, nsxanax said:

And I couldn’t agree more with your observation: they’ve had some phenomenal Guards, and I sure hope to see another one.

They had a phenomenal guard this year, they just didn't stand out. They performed what they were given, and it shown through at finals. 6th place wasn't because of their performance, but rather what they were given and the taste of the judge.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2019 at 6:20 PM, karuna said:

K, I quoted this post because I knew it would flag you...

I’ve been following that asinine back/forth on “Fav Ballad” today. I know you don’t need me, or anybody else for that matter, to come to your defense, but I thought that the blow-back you got from your initial comment was unwarranted. Because I have so much respect and regard for Terri S, as one of the most well spoken, reasoned voices on this forum, I let it go.

While we certainly have our share of hyperbolic, bomb throwers in CrownLAND, that never give quarter, you are perhaps one of the most thoughtful, measured contributors around here. Further, you don’t wear blinders during the course of a season and maintain a level of objectivity with regard to what, in your opinion, might be shortcomings or possible improvements, in a given program. 

My point: you’re probably the absolute, last regular contributor here in CrownLAND, that should have been labeled a “Crownie,” in such a disparaging way.

Think I’m gonna just stay, here, in the silo. I abhor group think and strive to keep an open mind, but when folks you have nothing but respect for start parcing your words for inflections and inferences, to find fault with your opinions, perhaps better to stay close to home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1