Carolina Crown 2020

40 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

Okay. So back at the 2017 NightBEAT, the title of #1 Crown Fan was conferred upon me by none other than Doug Madar [original chair of NightBEAT and Crown Hall of Famer] himself. Yes, it was a bit of a goof, several year’s in the making, but I was presented with a wooden/cardboard scepter and it impressed the h@ll out of a couple of H.S. band students that were sharing a table with us.

Do not make me commit Hari-Kari with my most beloved Crown souvenir!!!!

If and when the inevitable happens (not this coming season -- his son is marching again right?)  there are several young apprentices who could (and undoubtedly would) return and/or step up.  Anyway I think this rumor has been posted every post-season since Keith/Michael/Leon left.  Not giving it any more credence this year.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Doug Madar is quite the imposing and orginal Crownie, and one of the original 8 founders of the corps.

Heck of a nice fellow, too.

As chance would have it, I shared a table with he and his family, at my very first NightBEAT, during the ALMS era in Charlotte. Fortunately, a fellow sitting next to me, far more knowledgeable than I re the Crown organization, provided me a much appreciated education, on the spot.

It was a most memorable, pre-show experience. One for which I will always be grateful.

Edited by nsxanax
Spelling
  • Like 1

Yeah Harloff isnt leaving. Corps can keep throwing big money at him (Boston last time, Cadets this time) but he's here to stay at Crown 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Yeah Harloff isnt leaving. Corps can keep throwing big money at him (Boston last time, Cadets this time) but he's here to stay at Crown 

Haha seriously. His son just started marching at Crown, at the very least he'll be there for three more years.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Haha seriously. His son just started marching at Crown, at the very least he'll be there for three more years.

And when he does leave Crown can just go ride the Disney monorail all day with Klesch driving and Harloff on the mic in the back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, karuna said:

And when he does leave Crown can just go ride the Disney monorail all day with Klesch driving and Harloff on the mic in the back!

I miss the days when you could actually ride in the front car. The Wife and I were going to a park restaurant for our Anniversary (wearing our Anniversary buttons) and a cast member ushered us up front.

Magical!

• Like 2

Whatever their designers and teachers are doing, just keep doing it. Crown was fantastic again this past season. The music book was outstanding as always. And as much as I do like what Bloo and BD bring to the activity with their visual programs, I equally appreciate that Crown marches some drill -- really well. If anything, they likely just came up short with the theme of the show and trying to push that into the stands. I wasn't wild about the color palette either, but I am no fashion designer so I will leave it at that. I still would have put them above SCV by a smidge. SCV also suffered from a strange color palette, odd props, and a tough theme to sell. At any rate, Crown still almost took the Bronze Medal. I really want them to do a classical music show again with a theme that fits. Maybe close the show with Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Jesters (from The Snow Maiden). 

Dance of the Jesters -Tchaikovsky

• Like 3

Just listening to some Crown ‘13, to get my weekend off to a pleasant start.

”These are the days, my friend.”

• Like 3

8 hours ago, nsxanax said:

Just listening to some Crown ‘13, to get my weekend off to a pleasant start.

”These are the days, my friend.”

Once again, she spoke. 

"Do you love me John?"

I always wondered, who's John and why that name? Couldn't have picked a better name, whoever wrote that?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Once again, she spoke. 

"Do you love me John?"

I always wondered, who's John and why that name? Couldn't have picked a better name, whoever wrote that?!

I’m guessing Philip Glass could provide a definitive answer, but regardless of the beau’s name, it is [for me, at least] one of the most powerful moments I’ve ever witnessed in marching arts.

Speaking of PG, just occurs to me that ‘99 SCV’s Inventions for a New Millennium opened with “The Canyon.”

Fellow sure translates well for drum corps👍