Carolina Crown 2020

3 hours ago, Mac13 said:

I was at the Wright Brothers National Memorial in North Carolina last week and had an epiphany (which are far and few for me...so maybe I'm overly-confident about this idea). 

How about a show centered around the concept, both concretely and abstractly, of flight.

Surface: The story of the Wright Brothers would be a great fit for Crown in my opinion, given their Carolina roots. I see flags and front sideline walls with drawings of various plane prototypes and equations (https://bit.ly/2ZlBHnU). Maybe a replica of their original plane that can be transported and moved around the field easily (https://s.si.edu/1w6Kdja).

Firebird could work as a closer. The "plane" stays backfield until the closer when it's moved forward as part of a dramatic company front, then the Crown set (symbolizing the first flight). 

Abstract: As StrikerEZ said, this design team is great with abstract...but often at the risk of being accessible. While the concrete concept of the show is the birth of aviation (accessible), the show can also carry a deeper meaning (perhaps during the ballad) of : taking risks, achievements, personal growth, etc. Some quotes come to mind:

"Fly without wings; Dream with open eyes; See in darkness.” -Dejan Stojanovic 

“If you were born without wings, do nothing to prevent them from growing.” -Coco Chanel 

“Man must rise above the Earth, to the top of the atmosphere and beyond, for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives.” -Socrates 

“Until you spread your wings you have no idea how far you’ll fly.” -anonymous 

I have no professional experience with show design, but I've been intrigued by this concept since it hit me last week and thought it would be fun to play around with on here.

Best flight show goes to Flower Mound high school in 2016. Anything else will fail in comparison in my opinion. Lol.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Best flight show goes to Flower Mound high school in 2016. Anything else will fail in comparison in my opinion. Lol.

I was there for UIL that year, and seeing that prop take flight is still one of my favorite things I've seen on a football field from any marching group. Plus, musically they just blew me away.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JustEnjoyIt said:

I was there for UIL that year, and seeing that prop take flight is still one of my favorite things I've seen on a football field from any marching group. Plus, musically they just blew me away.

It will forever been in my top 20. 

5 hours ago, ShortAndFast said:

Maybe my favorite Michael Klesch book before he went to Crown. As David Holsinger told him "I didn't put a ballad in TTTPS, but if I had, that's what I would have written".

I’d kill to have them play Klesch’s brass book straight up, 28 years later. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 5:24 PM, Mac13 said:

I was at the Wright Brothers National Memorial in North Carolina last week and had an epiphany (which are far and few for me...so maybe I'm overly-confident about this idea). 

How about a show centered around the concept, both concretely and abstractly, of flight.

Surface: The story of the Wright Brothers would be a great fit for Crown in my opinion, given their Carolina roots. I see flags and front sideline walls with drawings of various plane prototypes and equations (https://bit.ly/2ZlBHnU). Maybe a replica of their original plane that can be transported and moved around the field easily (https://s.si.edu/1w6Kdja).

Firebird could work as a closer. The "plane" stays backfield until the closer when it's moved forward as part of a dramatic company front, then the Crown set (symbolizing the first flight). 

Abstract: As StrikerEZ said, this design team is great with abstract...but often at the risk of being accessible. While the concrete concept of the show is the birth of aviation (accessible), the show can also carry a deeper meaning (perhaps during the ballad) of : taking risks, achievements, personal growth, etc. Some quotes come to mind:

"Fly without wings; Dream with open eyes; See in darkness.” -Dejan Stojanovic 

“If you were born without wings, do nothing to prevent them from growing.” -Coco Chanel 

“Man must rise above the Earth, to the top of the atmosphere and beyond, for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives.” -Socrates 

“Until you spread your wings you have no idea how far you’ll fly.” -anonymous 

I have no professional experience with show design, but I've been intrigued by this concept since it hit me last week and thought it would be fun to play around with on here.

I think your idea is positively inspired. Like you, I have zero design expertise, but the concept just seems to have so much potential.

While much of the marching arts tends to be trickle down—i.e. DCI—>BOA—no reason that idea couldn’t be, wait for it, elevated to a corps field.

BTW, would have used the term “corps stage,” but as much as I’ve raged against “staged” programs, that term is not one I associate with Crown. 😎

On 8/30/2019 at 10:04 PM, MikeRapp said:

Is it really true that Vanguard has replaced its brass staff with much of Crown?!

Core staff at CrownBrass is unchanged. 

Probably more accurate to say Crown launched Evan VanDoren to SCV with their blessings.  Much the same way Kevin LeBoeuf was launched to the Cavaliers.  Both of these Crown Alums naturally sought out other Crown Alums to fill out their staff.   

So no -- it's not true.  

Very cool to see Crown Alums teaching at so many places.

Edited by karuna
  • Like 5