Carolina Crown 2020

Hmmm. I’ve watched last year’s show about 500 times since seeing finals in person. It was a medalist show .. period  ..

I agree with the indoor vs outdoor subtlety .. some of the details were just to fine for outdoor ... and the monochrome thing .. it almost feels like your mother telling you .. because I say so  .. we’re gonna do it this way don’t ask questions. 
They need contrast and less subtlety on visual  .. also a lot of guard talk .. but you know .. there was a pretty big spread in the percussion scores 👀 .. if you’re down to hundredths of a point  .. but I thought all the captions were awesome  I loved the show .. loved! 

ive already ordered finals tickets so I’m in for another year  .. I’m totally fine with Crownie  .. go Crown  .. 🤡

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BWise said:

Hmmm. I’ve watched last year’s show about 500 times since seeing finals in person. It was a medalist show .. period  ..

I agree with the indoor vs outdoor subtlety .. some of the details were just to fine for outdoor ... and the monochrome thing .. it almost feels like your mother telling you .. because I say so  .. we’re gonna do it this way don’t ask questions. 
They need contrast and less subtlety on visual  .. also a lot of guard talk .. but you know .. there was a pretty big spread in the percussion scores 👀 .. if you’re down to hundredths of a point  .. but I thought all the captions were awesome  I loved the show .. loved! 

ive already ordered finals tickets so I’m in for another year  .. I’m totally fine with Crownie  .. go Crown  .. 🤡

Looks like my planned trip to Indy, for BOA Grand Nationals in November, is gonna get axed. In which case DCI 2020 Finals is a distinct possibility.

We’ll have to share a beverage or 10🍻

I see the staff is up on the CC.org site.. looks like most of the same faculty. Yes?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BWise said:

I see the staff is up on the CC.org site.. looks like most of the same faculty. Yes?

Looks like all the key people are back.

Byron Valentine added to the design staff as Guard Designer.

Both the guard staff and perc staff seem a bit larger. 

Most other changes are just the normal tech churn.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 4

Does anyone have knowledge on how good of a designer Byron is?  If Crown can get their color guard into top 3 they will be very formidable.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, B-Flat said:

Does anyone have knowledge on how good of a designer Byron is?  If Crown can get their color guard into top 3 they will be very formidable.

Byron is well known in the guard world having worked and still working with some really good elite guards. He’s also a designer at FJM so hopefully that’s an added bonus for the guard to standing out more. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, B-Flat said:

See for yourself 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, B-Flat said:

Talent and cleaning already in place.  They just need more effective work and aesthetics.  The guard got lost in drill too often  ( sabers and dancers esp.) last year. Transparency is a cool concept indoors but it does not translate well to a football field with judges 60 yds away.   Someone needs to be fixing these decisions before an order is placed or music is chosen.  Hopefully Byron can help in that respect.  Also just need more obvious flag work at impacts.  Save subtle for Dayton!  Write big work to the melodic line and rhythm.  No one credits demand in DCI anyway.  It’s all about effect. Music effect guys want to see what they hear and they’re not very good at noticing small details.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1