Carolina Crown 2020

On 8/17/2019 at 6:22 PM, nsxanax said:

I’m guessing Philip Glass could provide a definitive answer, but regardless of the beau’s name, it is [for me, at least] one of the most powerful moments I’ve ever witnessed in marching arts.

Speaking of PG, just occurs to me that ‘99 SCV’s Inventions for a New Millennium opened with “The Canyon.”

Fellow sure translates well for drum corps👍

Philip Glass's answer would most likely be because that is what Samuel Johnson wrote:

Samuel M. Johnson: Lovers on a Park Bench 

The day with its cares and perplexities is ended and the night is now upon us. The night should be a time of peace and tranquility, a time to relax and be calm. We have need of a soothing story to banish the disturbing thoughts of the day, to set at rest our troubled minds, and put at ease our ruffled spirits.

And what sort of story shall we hear? Ah, it will be a familiar story, a story that is so very, very old, and yet it is so new. It is the old, old story of love.

Two lovers sat on a park bench, with their bodies touching each other, holding hands in the moonlight.

There was silence between them. So profound was their love for each other, they needed no words to express it. And so they sat in silence, on a park bench, with their bodies touching, holding hands in the moonlight.

Finally she spoke. “Do you love me, John?” she asked. “You know I love you, darling,” he replied. “I love you more than tongue can tell. You are the light of my life, my sun, moon and stars. You are my everything. Without you I have no reason for being.”

Again there was silence as the two lovers sat on a park bench, their bodies touching, holding hands in the moonlight. Once more she spoke. “How much do you love me, John?” she asked. He answered: “How much do I love you? Count the stars in the sky. Measure the waters of the oceans with a teaspoon. Number the grains of sand on the sea shore. Impossible, you say.”

“Yes and it is just as impossible for me to say how much I love you.”

“My love for you is higher than the heavens, deeper than Hades, and broader than the earth. It has no limits, no bounds. Everything must have an ending except my love for you.”

There was more of silence as the two lovers sat on a park bench with their bodies touching, holding hands in the moonlight.

Once more her voice was heard. “Kiss me, John,” she implored. And leaning over, he pressed his lips warmly to hers in fervent osculation.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, karuna said:

Crown does NOT have a musical identity in terms of piece selection.  Their musical repertoire is all over the place.  Not worried they're going to try to "be the Bluecoats".  They're Crown -- they'll continue to be Crown.  Not worried at all. 

Never said they did, but you can not tell me that their signature brass sound is going to translate well, if at all, to the funk genre. 

13 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Never said they did, but you can not tell me that their signature brass sound is going to translate well, if at all, to the funk genre. 

I mean if a good sounding ensemble plays good sounding music then it’ll sound good. I have no worry about the ensemble, but we’ll see about the music...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I think Michael Klesch is a drum corps magician.  He can arrange anything and make it sound great in a brass ensemble.  You might take a look at some of the encore/parade charts that he's written for Crown over the years.  

9 hours ago, Crownie01 said:

Very exciting 🙂 I’m very ready to hear crowns intereperitation of funk, as it doesn’t seem as popular among corps in music selection as much as jazz. I have a feeling this shows gonnabe a little more than just Rach Star 2.0.

IMHO Rach Star was not fully appreciated by some of the up-turned noses in the judging community. 

That said I don't think this will be another Rach Star.   

35 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I've heard that very few mellos showed up this weekend. Unsure whether that's true or not. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Maybe the word got out that they have a quality section already, with many vets returning.    

Edited by Ghost