Carolina Crown 2020

4 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Nobody said anything about Klesch and his abilities. Not sure where you got that from. I'm also not sure why you continue to try to pick this fight with me. Maybe someone needs to go back to bed and wake up on the right side for a change.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:38 PM, Incognito365 said:

Never said they did, but you can not tell me that their signature brass sound is going to translate well, if at all, to the funk genre. 

Well Crown's "signature sound" is a result of (a) arrangement + (b) instruction + (c) excellence.  If we can agree (b) and (c) are not dependent on the source material,  that just leaves (a).    And (a) is all about Klesch and his abilities.  

Not picking a fight.  Just pointing out that "Crown can't play X" is a fallacy.  

21 hours ago, karuna said:

Well Crown's "signature sound" is a result of (a) arrangement + (b) instruction + (c) excellence.  If we can agree (b) and (c) are not dependent on the source material,  that just leaves (a).    And (a) is all about Klesch and his abilities.  

I didn't say they can't. Good lord stop putting words in my mouth. Quote all of the posts of mine you'd like, you will never find a post that says "Crown can't play funk".

On 11/21/2019 at 12:38 PM, Incognito365 said:

Never said they did, but you can not tell me that their signature brass sound is going to translate well, if at all, to the funk genre. 

On 11/27/2019 at 5:58 PM, karuna said:

It does sound like you're saying you think either or both Crown's arranger can't arrange funk or instructors can teach the kids to play funk to a point equal to the other styles they have played in the past.  I'll wait and see, but do feel they are the corps that has had the most varied musical styles in their shows forever, especially since their entry into top 12.  So I'd put more money on Crown doing a great funk than I ever would with Blue Devils doing a great, real (not jazz rendition) all-classical show.

• Thanks 2

Dunno if EWF’s In the Stone qualifies as true funk—you’d never confuse it with George Clinton’s Mothership jamz —but I recall a vid of Cream Crown crushing that tune as parade repertoire. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nsxanax said:

Dunno if EWF’s In the Stone qualifies as true funk—you’d never confuse it with George Clinton’s Mothership jamz —but I recall a vid of Cream Crown crushing that tune as parade repertoire. 

Bristol!  Man the corps looked forward to that parade like it was a trip to Disney.  Always a highlight of the season.  (probably better quality recordings of them playing the piece but none more fun).

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, karuna said:

Bristol!  Man the corps looked forward to that parade like it was a trip to Disney.  Always a highlight of the season.  (probably better quality recordings of them playing the piece but none more fun).

But but but... that’s old school drum corps... the members can’t POSSIBLY be enjoying playing that....  😈

ok my morning sarcasm is out of the way. Thanks for posting. Irony is hearing this right before I go for an MRI to try to find out why the left ear hearing is going to crap

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, karuna said:

K, you never fail to deliver: that’s the exact vid I had in mind. I’d be willing to pay the price of a seat at NightBEAT, to have had a chance to hang out on that porch!

Even on my iPad, you can hear and feel the energy & enthusiasm.

That was the opening track off of EWF’s ‘79 release “I Am.” 

Maurice White smiles down from the cosmos when he hears CrownBRASS’s rendition😇

Edited by nsxanax
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 6:36 AM, karuna said:

####.  Just blow baybee!