Carolina Crown 2020

On 1/23/2020 at 12:45 AM, Jeff Ream said:

ooooo 6 bass drums

I know right? But in all of your years in judging with indoor, have you heard where a 6th bass is really an asset musically to a battery? I'm not saying it isn't, I just have never heard where Bass 6 really made a huge difference in writing. Then again, I'm not field level to be able to really hear the layering. Now if they go to septoms, then I'll KNOW something strange and devious this way comes. 

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2020 at 8:56 AM, Ghost said:

Would any corps have an alternate in that section?

Never had an alternate for bass when I marched in DCI or in DCA, but I would guess they could do it. I saw another corps sometime in the 80's march 6 and I just can't remember who. But it always floated around in my mind as marching 11 snares or 5 tenors. At some point, extra notes don't make things better...just dirtier. I'm not saying this is the case with CC and 6 bass drums, I'm just confused by it is all. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

Someone really doesn't like bass 6. Grudge against them? Did they do something to you in the past? Lets talk about your childhood. We will sort out this trauma together. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Someone really doesn't like bass 6. Grudge against them? Did they do something to you in the past? Lets talk about your childhood. We will sort out this trauma together. 

LOL. That's not it at all actually and I'm pretty sure you know that. Your typical sarcasm is definitely not wasted on me. I simply wanted to know, from a judging perspective, does a 6th bass have any true effect on how the battery book is received. I have the battery experience to say that's a pretty valid question to ask. I personally don't give a flying, hairy rats ### if any corps marches 5 bass drums or 16. I am, however, interested in how/if a 6th bass adds anything of substance to the book. 

EDIT: Oh I was once assaulted by Bass 5 at UA. I think we were doing some rotating box of death thing and somehow I managed to get trapped inside said rotating box. By the time all the various battery carnage was over with, I'm pretty sure that it was just a rotating blob.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

LOL. That's not it at all actually and I'm pretty sure you know that. Your typical sarcasm is definitely not wasted on me. I simply wanted to know, from a judging perspective, does a 6th bass have any true effect on how the battery book is received. I have the battery experience to say that's a pretty valid question to ask. I personally don't give a flying, hairy rats ### if any corps marches 5 bass drums or 16. I am, however, interested in how/if a 6th bass adds anything of substance to the book. 

EDIT: Oh I was once assaulted by Bass 5 at UA. I think we were doing some rotating box of death thing and somehow I managed to get trapped inside said rotating box. By the time all the various battery carnage was over with, I'm pretty sure that it was just a rotating blob.

You judge whats in front of you. I'm sure if there were 4 basses a judge would ask why they didn't have 5 and would go on for 14 minutes about how they prefer 5 basses. They probably do the same with 6. Obviously it didn't hinder Crowns percussion last year. If a judge shaves points off for their own personal taste...wait a minute...

10 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

You judge whats in front of you. I'm sure if there were 4 basses a judge would ask why they didn't have 5 and would go on for 14 minutes about how they prefer 5 basses. They probably do the same with 6. Obviously it didn't hinder Crowns percussion last year. If a judge shaves points off for their own personal taste...wait a minute...

Valid point. That being said, I haven't heard any of the judges tapes for CC from 2019 so I don't know what's been said as far as interpretation, difficulty of the book etc. I think CC was a solid 4th or 5th in percussion last year. I would agree that I highly doubt any judge at that level would say "I don't like 6 bass drums" and penalize strictly on that stance. What I can say is that as I have never seen a book written for 6 basses, I wanted someone with some judging experience to tell me about the pro / con of a 6th bass. We had similar conversations within the drum corps community when we went from 10 snares to 9 as a standard. 

Oh please don't think I have anything against CC. I think they're a wonderful corps. This is simply a curiosity question. 

2 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Valid point. That being said, I haven't heard any of the judges tapes for CC from 2019 so I don't know what's been said as far as interpretation, difficulty of the book etc. I think CC was a solid 4th or 5th in percussion last year. I would agree that I highly doubt any judge at that level would say "I don't like 6 bass drums" and penalize strictly on that stance. What I can say is that as I have never seen a book written for 6 basses, I wanted someone with some judging experience to tell me about the pro / con of a 6th bass. We had similar conversations within the drum corps community when we went from 10 snares to 9 as a standard. 

Oh please don't think I have anything against CC. I think they're a wonderful corps. This is simply a curiosity question. 

I get what you're saying. I just don't think it would change how a judge does their job. As for writing, I'm sure it's different. I write for 5, sometimes 4, so 6 would throw me off kilter a bit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I get what you're saying. I just don't think it would change how a judge does their job. As for writing, I'm sure it's different. I write for 5, sometimes 4, so 6 would throw me off kilter a bit.

Makes sense. Hopefully, the magic of Youtube will give us some tasty tidbits as the season moves on. Bass lines always seem to be grossly unappreciated on Youtube it seems. Though you will always have that one cat in the lot who's screaming "WOOOOOOO!! That was ####### DANK bass drums! WOOOO!!" 

• Like 1