Cadets 2020

11 minutes ago, East9900 said:

If they are hurting financially, how on earth are they able to offer free camps?

Did a donor step up or is it something else?

It may be a risk they are willing to take. Perhaps some donors are willing to cover those costs, or perhaps some other partnerships.

For me, I honestly did not care about scores for the Cadets this year (nor placement). None of it matters. What matters is finances, rebuilding the brand, finding new profit centers, recruiting and retention, making sure the members are learning and enjoyment the drum corps experience, and providing a safe and positive tour and camp experience. I would probably not make many changes to personnel. Yes, they need to find a drill guy and keep them around. Show design will have to change, but that doesn't mean getting rid of people. I think the current designers can do the job, they just need a clear directive from the top on where to take things. They definitely have a talented staff that are capable of doing excellent work, and I have been impressed with their Director.

• Like 2

For those in the Northeast, Did US Bands just implode last year? Did bands stop going to US Bands shows because of Hop?

7 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

For those in the Northeast, Did US Bands just implode last year? Did bands stop going to US Bands shows because of Hop?

a lot of bands started dabbling in other circuits for sure. Not sure how many left for good. I know membership in NJ grew for TOB so much that we had to split the state from 2 Regions to 3.

apparently there is a new MD only circuit out there too, but I have seen little online about it

Edited by Jeff Ream

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

a lot of bands started dabbling in other circuits for sure. Not sure how many left for good. I know membership in NJ grew for TOB so much that we had to split the state from 2 Regions to 3.

apparently there is a new MD only circuit out there too, but I have seen little online about it

So I would assume the revenue from US Bands is somewhat stable.. Looking at their events schedule they are running 102 events this MB season..

Did the expenses for Hop Really cost that much? I'm not understanding why they are in a Known Financial situation?

(wasn't frequenting DCP when this was going down a couple of years ago)

Edited by Glenn426

37 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

So I would assume the revenue from US Bands is somewhat stable.. Looking at their events schedule they are running 102 events this MB season..

Did the expenses for Hop Really cost that much? I'm not understanding why they are in a Known Financial situation?

Financial management was a problem for years, it's not surprising they found a hole when people independently looked at the books. Last fall, they announced they had a $600K deficit (e.g. https://www.wfmz.com/news/lehigh-valley/youth-education-in-the-arts-announces-sweeping-changes-tooperations/896875200)

Also keep it mind that it costs more money to do things the right way. GH acted as CEO and corps director and staff coordinator and sometimes program coordinator and sometimes development director and on and on. If you do it right, you hire qualified people for all those roles and pay them an appropriate salary for the work they do.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

without having access to the most recent 990's, I have no idea what the math is except for the $800k or so mentioned last fall when C2 was cut. I have heard they found ways to get some income or donations they weren't getting before which most likely helped. I know they were able to consign a bunch of past guard uniforms and flags and sell a bunch of it which helped some. for USBands, the sliding membership fees scale is important, because the more shows a school does, the more they have to pay, so if schools are doing fewer shows, that may cut into revenue. Easiest way to know is to look at where each band is going, and then use tool to see what their membership fees are:

https://yea.org/usbands/directors/calculator

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

without having access to the most recent 990's, I have no idea what the math is except for the $800k or so mentioned last fall when C2 was cut. I have heard they found ways to get some income or donations they weren't getting before which most likely helped. I know they were able to consign a bunch of past guard uniforms and flags and sell a bunch of it which helped some. for USBands, the sliding membership fees scale is important, because the more shows a school does, the more they have to pay, so if schools are doing fewer shows, that may cut into revenue. Easiest way to know is to look at where each band is going, and then use tool to see what their membership fees are:

I took a look at October 5th as an example.  USBands is hosting Yamaha Cup at MetLife, while BOA has a show at the University of Maryland.  I count nine NJ Open class bands choosing the BOA show instead of the Yamaha Cup.   Some NJ Open Class bands also seem to be forgoing USBands Nationals in November.

Edited by ykw

7 minutes ago, ykw said:

I took a look at October 5th as an example.  USBands is hosting Yamaha Cup at MetLife, while BOA has a show at the University of Maryland.  I count nine NJ Open class bands choosing the BOA show instead of the Yamaha Cup.   Some NJ Open Class bands also seem to be forgoing USBands Nationals in November.

i wouldn't get upset about registrations not being updated yet. I know with TOB we just opened registration for our championships and iften times band directors don't start checking email til band camp starts

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Most recent 990

https://pdf.guidestar.org/PDF_Images/2018/222/052/2018-222052456-10515f2c-9.pdf

Filed on 2/15/2019 for the 3 months 1/1/18 to 3/31/18.  

This was filed because they changed their accounting year from 1/1 to 4/1.