Cadets 2020

3 hours ago, Spinning said:

Most of George’s survivors marched for years or worked around him for years after what happened to them.   So many survivors stay around their abusers for years, PTSD. Or not. 

George was a bully and a narcissist, and literally everyone who knew him knew of his personality, antics, and blind spots —and likely at least suspected if not knew of his abusive relationships. 

When you send 200 teenage and early 20 something kids out on tour for the summer and sleep on gym floors and buses, you are ARE going to have misdeeds. Anyone who ever traveled with a corps knows this. I don’t care which corps or what era.

This fact does NOT excuse bad behavior. But this is not new.

The travesty of GH is that the leader demonstrated bad behavior. THAT is inexcusable. But Cadets also deserve the chance to start over and I support them. And because I loathe GH and all his antics I won’t comment on him again. He is out of our respective lives. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, FTNK said:

#### I didn’t even hear about that one!

He’s talking about the (my characterization “dubious”) incident last year 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

George was a bully and a narcissist, and literally everyone who knew him knew of his personality, antics, and blind spots —and likely at least suspected if not knew of his abusive relationships. 

When you send 200 teenage and early 20 something kids out on tour for the summer and sleep on gym floors and buses, you are ARE going to have misdeeds. Anyone who ever traveled with a corps knows this. I don’t care which corps or what era.

This fact does NOT excuse bad behavior. But this is not new.

The travesty of GH is that the leader demonstrated bad behavior. THAT is inexcusable. But Cadets also deserve the chance to start over and I support them. And because I loathe GH and all his antics I won’t comment on him again. He is out of our respective lives. 

Personality, antics and blind spots, yes. Beyond the victims, the circle of people who knew about the abusive relationships (at least the sexual ones) must have been extremely small.  I know quite a few people who marched and had staff positions during the years in question, and to a person they were shocked by the revelations. If you have no life and want to take the time to look back at this forum before 2018, you will not see a single post alleging sexual abuse.  If it didn’t even appear in an anonymous forum, that should tell you something - not that the abuse didn’t happen, but that very few people knew, and the ones who did weren’t talking. 

Edited by Icer

5 hours ago, Spinning said:

Most of George’s survivors marched for years or worked around him for years after what happened to them.   So many survivors stay around their abusers for years, PTSD. Or not. 

Stockholm Syndrome sounds applicable here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FTNK said:

So the majority response of DCPers to the 2018 incident is "didn't happen, they're out for money"? Coooool

Not at all. I think there's missing info from both sides.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jonwoody said:

My post had nothing to do with GH.  My buddies with PTSD weren't abused...you are a bit confused. My comments were in regard to the 2 minors this year.

I was just trying to explain that people still stay in an activity that they love after being traumatized, abused, raped, etc.

You questioned why the kid still marched. 

4 hours ago, jonwoody said:

So what was the reason then??

It was said that he wasn’t interested at the time.  I’m not sure why.  Maybe because he didn’t want to leave his full time job?  It definitely wasn’t because he was George’s number 2.  

People closely associated with George for years and still support him were still and are still involved with the corps this year.

Scott retired from his full time job to take the director’s position.

1 hour ago, Icer said:

Personality, antics and blind spots, yes. Beyond the victims, the circle of people who knew about the abusive relationships (at least the sexual ones) must have been extremely small.  I know quite a few people who marched and had staff positions during the years in question, and to a person they were shocked by the revelations. If you have no life and want to take the time to look back at this forum before 2018, you will not see a single post alleging sexual abuse.  If it didn’t even appear in an anonymous forum, that should tell you something - not that the abuse didn’t happen, but that very few people knew, and the ones who did weren’t talking. 

Yes, it tells you that no one wanted to talk about it, because it wasn’t talked about back then.  That was the culture.  

There was no one in authority to tell either, except the perpetrator, who had complete control.

It is so hard for me to believe that people that were around for years were really actually shocked, but I guess it’s possible.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Icer said:

The ones who knew were never going to talk because they would lose their jobs and probably their career in the activity.