Cadets 2020

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Don't know if Boston would let Gino out of his contract.

True, but these are drum corps contracts, not military, people can go if they choose.

1 hour ago, East9900 said:

I think Saktig makes a lot of sense. He clearly still loves The Cadets, but I don't know if he would really want to leave his job at Crown. He seemed really happy to be there. Then again, a lot has changed with The Cadets so perhaps the things that he was told was enough to bring him back. They definitely need him and that might be enough. 

Dillon was with our staff for a little while in 2000, but didn't get to work with him a lot. I know this won't happen, but I'd love to see Matt Harloff come back to The Cadets. Donnie has obviously worked with them a lot over the years but I think it would probably be more likely that someone trained under Donnie would come back as opposed to Donnie himself.

I do think we will find out about the staff sooner rather than later. If it is a good staff, I would think they would want to announce that before the camps to get more talent and build excitement. The later they wait, the less of an impact it will make. 

I loved Wayne Dillon. He worked specifically with the trumpets. I would love to see Jeff come back. All I want is some great talent to get Cadets back to being competitive. And by "competitive," I mean win Championship #11.

Oh yes. I went there. 

57 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Nope.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I loved Wayne Dillon. He worked specifically with the trumpets. I would love to see Jeff come back. All I want is some great talent to get Cadets back to being competitive. And by "competitive," I mean win Championship #11.

Oh yes. I went there. 

giphy.gif

OMG you are 100% right. For some reason I connected that name to someone completely different and feel pretty #### stupid right about now. Wayne was awesome! He was a great guy and really enjoyed when he was working with us.

Two Weeks Away from A flood of Staff moves and announcements...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Where are the young new instructors? How many people in top spots for design are under 40? 30? Drum corps seems to recycle a lot of the same people from the last 3-4 decades....

I think Crown’s percussion guy is young.  He looks young to me but that’s practically everyone nowadays. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think Crown’s percussion guy is young.  He looks young to me but that’s practically everyone nowadays. :laughing:

I feel old watching Travis do his thing....and he's still ###### young, but I've known him for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Where are the young new instructors? How many people in top spots for design are under 40? 30? Drum corps seems to recycle a lot of the same people from the last 3-4 decades....

I think there's a reason there aren't a lot of young guys in the top corps... experience. If you were a CEO for a big company, would you hire a guy that just started that seems to have the goods, or would you go with the guy that has proven success and the experience to back it up? Plus those people at the top are at the top for a reason. Most likely those spots won't open up unless that person is either going elsewhere, doesn't want to do it anymore, or is no longer wanted.

I believe those under 40 and 30 in world class corps are probably on the staff as a technician. When I marched with The Cadets there were people that were teaching that had only aged out a year or two prior. But were they heads of the staff? Absolutely not, nor should they have been. 

I would say that if you looked past the top 12 and into open class, I'm sure you would find the staffs and those running them are either young or young to teaching in the activity. That is not to say that experienced instructors aren't teaching the lower ranked corps. 

To protect the anonymity of a friend, I know a guy that is an assistant head caption of a Top corps in DCI. He is in his upper 30s but has been working with drum corps and music education for years. He has worked with several corps, including his alma mater  I believe since he aged out. It was not an easy road for him to get where he is, but he is incredibly deserving and I feel that he will probably be the head caption instructor of a corps somewhere soon if he wants it. 

My point is that I don't think that staffs recycle as much as it appears, because we all know about the people that are being recycled. There are plenty of other people that are grinding and working their way up through the ranks. Sometimes that takes a lot of time, but there's a reason. Teaching a top drum and bugle corps is incredibly difficult. I have a load of respect for those that have the talent to do so. 

Edited by East9900