Cadets 2020

14 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

I was surprisingly "meh" about the announcement. I think April returning to the guard is possibly the biggest game changer for them.

For my money, their biggest problem of late has been the inability to design complete, compelling shows that generate effect and explore their theme in an interesting way. Have they really made any changes in this area? I still see the same Artistic Director as before. I think they can ... all ... do ... better.

I was also disappointed to see not a word of thanks for the departing staff. Whatever their flaws, they kept the group alive and in finals through an existential crisis. There was always a gracelessness to Cadets' handling of staff under GH, I had hoped that would improve under new administration.

1. April is huge. She brings a mindset. The guard will kick butt and they will be CLEAN

2. For me the biggest single announcement is the change at corps director/assistant director. The group they had I felt was way too laid back and the details weren't buttoned up. Just my take as an outsider based on a lot of items I've heard from parents. Sorry but they can't wait until Allentown to start getting clean and intense in the rehearsals. That will end.

3. Re: the departing staff - I agree, should have been mentioned in the announcement. Hopefully in upcoming opportunities that will be the case

• Like 2

Look, this isn't the staff that's going to win the 2020 title. This is the staff that's going to stop the bleeding and build for 2021 and beyond.

Get Jay in so that we can find the next Jay.

Get April in so that we can find the next April.

I have it on good authority that the design crew has not all been announced and that it's much more of a team effort this year than The Darcie Show of 2019. Some contributions may go uncredited for various reasons.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, exitmusic said:

Look, this isn't the staff that's going to win the 2020 title. This is the staff that's going to stop the bleeding and build for 2021 and beyond.

Get Jay in so that we can find the next Jay.

Get April in so that we can find the next April.

I have it on good authority that the design crew has not all been announced and that it's much more of a team effort this year than The Darcie Show of 2019. Some contributions may go uncredited for various reasons.

BINGO. Cadets need to stop the bleeding and the sinking standing, so I am hoping this team can do so to open the door for the next generation of Cadets legends. 

• Like 2

For me, the words that mean the most here are: Denise Bonfiglio, Corps Director. One of only 6 women in the DCI Hall of Fame; out of 130. Her father was an inaugural member. This is drum corps royalty come back to the Northeast. I hope that this relationship sticks, because it has the ability to  erase memories and mentions of .... 

(As for the numbers 6 and 130; Women in DCI has a long way to go to even be on an even field. I continue to wish the effort -- no matter how it came to be formed -- godspeed.)

• Like 3

I actually like the additions. I wanted change, even if that change meant bringing in previous staff members. But I didn't feel like they were just bringing in old Cadets to bring in old Cadets. Those that they brought in were successful and don't appear to be done any time soon. 

Very happy to have Jay back. Such a good guy and one hell of an arranger.

Happy to see Jeff's name, but a bit bummed he isn't going to be a drill writer, just a consultant. At the same time perhaps that's for the better. I have an incredible amount of respect for Bilby and look forward to seeing what he can do when he's being used at his full capacity. He did his best last year to fix the mess but there was only so much he could do. I think the corps is in good hands and will only be better having Saktig helping out.

Brass staff is one I felt like really needed an overhaul and I like the direction. I really like Whitlock and Stratton. Both really know their stuff and hopefully can bring in a staff that will elevate the hornline.

I'm glad they didn't mess with the drum line staff. The success they had should bring in even more talent.

Guard needed the most help in my opinion and so glad April is coming back. I didn't know if she really wanted to come back but so glad she is. She really is the reason the guard was such a force for a long time. I expect them to be the most improved part of the corps.

Lastly.. design. Not too much of a fan of bringing back Darcie, BUT she has a completely different team around her. I think that's a good thing, Hopefully these new minds can all work together to create a much better product. The fact that they cleaned house so drastically but she is still around speaks to me that there was way more going on behind the scenes than we were probably led to believe. Perhaps her vision for the show was changed by the others that were there. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BranchHill said:

For me, the words that mean the most here are: Denise Bonfiglio, Corps Director. One of only 6 women in the DCI Hall of Fame; out of 130. Her father was an inaugural member. This is drum corps royalty come back to the Northeast. I hope that this relationship sticks, because it has the ability to  erase memories and mentions of .... 

(As for the numbers 6 and 130; Women in DCI has a long way to go to even be on an even field. I continue to wish the effort -- no matter how it came to be formed -- godspeed.)

agreed 100% - she's the real deal, has the connections and it's terrific to see a female corps director at the Cadets

• Like 2