Cadets 2020

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

For as long as I can now remember, the one thing Cadets lacked were caption heads who had the experience and responsibility to stand up and say, No way this corps is putting this show on the field, not on my watch. Some really talented people allowed really awful designs to get “polished” when the dumbest DCI member of our group knew that the show had to be fixed and likely never should have made it out of spring training.

This is what makes BD and Bluecoats consistently great. The whole ###### team is responsible for what goes onto the field.

An interesting observation. Tom was always that person at Cadets when it came to GH ideas (according to many stories I've heard over the years)

Once he departed things really went sideways quickly - looking back

April also has strong opinions - and when she was still around FT certainly kept the guard side of design extremely top notch

The dynamics without GH around with this group back could be something really special - but time will tell!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

An interesting observation. Tom was always that person at Cadets when it came to GH ideas (according to many stories I've heard over the years)

April also has strong opinions - and when she was still around FT certainly kept the guard side of design extremely top notch

The dynamics without GH around with this group back could be something really special - but time will tell!

It’s amazing to me that imo the best pure old school drum corps show of the last decade at least was Angels and Demons, and the group that created and perfected that show was largely on the sidelines for some of the absolute most cringe worthy shows I’ve ever seen in my entire lifetime. I mean really, people, stand up and be counted. Lead! Don’t let #### just go out the door and somehow believe you can polish a turd into something other than a really shiny turd!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

But also takes a strong leader to reign  in the egos and personalities and consider the big picture...just sayin

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

But also takes a strong leader to reign  in the egos and personalities and consider the big picture...just sayin

I don’t care what anyone says. As a designer of over 30 years, and literally hundreds of clients, one thing is absolutely true: you cannot teach good taste. If your leader lacks good taste, it doesn’t matter how much money you have, or how well designed your organization is, your product will suck.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I don’t care what anyone says. As a designer of over 30 years, and literally hundreds of clients, one thing is absolutely true: you cannot teach good taste. If your leader lacks good taste, it doesn’t matter how much money you have, or how well designed your organization is, your product will suck.

this is very true as well

Just now, GUARDLING said:

this is very true as well

Also, the people in the org with good taste will bang their heads against the wall in frustration, never able to win an argument, and they will ALL leave...and tell everyone why. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

For as long as I can now remember, the one thing Cadets lacked were caption heads who had the experience and responsibility to stand up and say, No way this corps is putting this show on the field, not on my watch. Some really talented people allowed really awful designs to get “polished” when the dumbest DCI member of our group knew that the show had to be fixed and likely never should have made it out of spring training.

This is what makes BD and Bluecoats consistently great. The whole ###### team is responsible for what goes onto the field.

Now hold on a minute. We can all agree that some of the designs "he" put on the field were sub par over the last decade or so, but this is also the same person that allowed "Dreamscapes in Four Parts with a Door", "We Are The Future", "Stonehenge", "Celebration....", "The American West", just to name a few. I do not think you can say with absolute certainty that Cadets "lacked were caption heads who had the experience and responsibility to stand up and say, No way this corps is putting this show on the field, not on my watch" because those same people led captions in shows that also won captions and won championships. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 6

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Also, the people in the org with good taste will bang their heads against the wall in frustration, never able to win an argument, and they will ALL leave...and tell everyone why. 

Again this also can be true but with all that said ( and all true ) a good leader needs to let those who create do so  ( or with good taste as you said ) yet hard to tell someone their taste is bad..lol  BUT that same leader has to know when to back off as well as reign in the multiple egos or personalities

4 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Now hold on a minute. We can all agree that some of the designs "he" put on the field was sub par over the last decade or so, but this is also the same person that allowed "Dreamscapes in Four Parts with a Door", "We Are The Future", "Stonehenge", "Celebration....", "The American West", just to name a few. I do not think you can say with absolute certainty that Cadets "lacked were caption heads who had the experience and responsibility to stand up and say, No way this corps is putting this show on the field, not on my watch" because those same people led captions in shows that also won captions and won championships. 

amen brother - we are in for a very interesting year