Cadets 2020

18 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Who was ultimately responsible for programming "Do Better," which is arguably the single worst drum corps production of the modern era?

Worst of the era?

”Hold my beer.”

- Relampago

unless you consider 2009 to be before the modern era 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

There’s a lot of drama going on here considering something good just happened. You might want to step outdoors for some nice fresh air. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, exitmusic said:

Who was ultimately responsible for programming "Do Better," which is arguably the single worst drum corps production of the modern era?

I actually liked a good bit of the “Do Better” segment.  Conceptually, it was an ironic name for a production in which too many aspects were NOT better.  But as far as the actual MUSIC the percussion was playing, yeah, it was really good!  Was the drill and narration great?  No, a lot of that was bad.

Worst production of the modern era, though?  Not even close.

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

There’s a lot of drama going on here considering something good just happened. You might want to step outdoors for some nice fresh air. 

We won’t know anything until week 1 of the 2020 season. Until then I choose to chill and remember these people are people first and I would hope will receive our grace and support.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Worst of the era?

”Hold my beer.”

- Relampago

unless you consider 2009 to be before the modern era 

Three words: "Heart and Soul"

If they just got rid of the dude saying "Do better" that production would have been a million times better. If removing one thing improves it, then it is far from the "worst of the era".

IMO, I'll take "Do better" dude over ANY of the narration in "This I believe". Both are garbage, but at least one is in the category of music.

• Like 1

I really like all the new hires and the way they shuffled around the admin responsibilities. Solid move for the Cadets and YEA. A lot of good people. All positives in my book. Too much crying on here today. This is a positive day for the Cadets. Good luck to all, and onto the 2020 DCI season. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Tommeee said:

I actually liked a good bit of the “Do Better” segment.  Conceptually, it was an ironic name for a production in which too many aspects were NOT better.  But as far as the actual MUSIC the percussion was playing, yeah, it was really good!  Was the drill and narration great?  No, a lot of that was bad.

Worst production of the modern era, though?  Not even close.

I don't know "Do Better" or the 5 second jazz tag with no context with the "screamers" at the end of Bridge over Troubled Waters which was worse? I could go on with more stellar programming choices in that show but why beat a dead queen, the snare drummer did a sufficient job of that the first time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

I don't know "Do Better" or the 5 second jazz tag with no context with the "screamers" at the end of Bridge over Troubled Waters which was worse? I could go on with more stellar programming choices in that show but why beat a dead queen, the snare drummer did a sufficient job of that the first time.

I suppose this is Cadets 2019 stuff, but I agree with that. Not sure if you heard earlier versions of the show, but the tag made a little bit more sense (and just mean a little). 

The horn line used to hit the chorus strong, but instead went technical with dynamics in perhaps an effort to appease the judges. As a result, they killed an awesome moment that the fans actually liked. Then it went into a gospel feel and then went into the tag. I guess that was an effort to fix it, but it seemed to break it as it made even less sense. I thought they should have eliminated that whole tag completely after cutting it down. 

I don't think anyone that is still around had much to do with that, but I could be wrong. Obviously they made pretty drastic changes so kudos to the admin for identifying the issue and not trying to put a band-aid on it and hope it just fixes itself with time.

On to 2020 and it's already killing me that we probably won't know a thing about this corps or program until next year. 

• Like 2