Cadets 2020

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

I don't know "Do Better" or the 5 second jazz tag with no context with the "screamers" at the end of Bridge over Troubled Waters which was worse? I could go on with more stellar programming choices in that show but why beat a dead queen, the snare drummer did a sufficient job of that the first time.

Yea, this is good.

gufawww

13 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

My best student ran up to me yesterday and said, "DID YOU SEE THE NEWS?!? I'm doing Cadets and that's it."  He had been considering Crown and Jersey Surf.

Bocook, Sacktig, and Aungst have a bigger following than you might give them credit for... 🙂 

#### facts 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, East9900 said:

Drama on DCP... absolutely. Drama outside of DCP..... not so much. If you are referring to the GH drama, that isn't the fault of The Cadets, but they are certainly having to deal with the aftermath and hopefully the darkest days are behind us. 

In regards to the shows, shows under GH were pretty rough. Marching in 99 and 00 I got to see first hand complete opposite sides of the spectrum. I saw when it went terribly wrong and I saw when it went incredibly right. In my opinion he went overboard in regards to narration. 

Angels and Demons was incredible and I actually liked Side By Side as well as Power of 10. There were some very cringeworthy shows, but those performers performed the hell out of those shows. Say what you want about the show concepts, but those shows were competing for championships.

Top 5 placements since 2001

2001-Juxtaposition tied for 2nd

2002-American Revival- 3rd

2003-Our Favorite Things- 3rd

2004-Jethro Tull- 4th

2005-The Zone- 1st

2006- Vol 2 Through the Looking Glass- 5th 

2007- This I Believe- 2nd

2008 ..and the pursuit of happiness- 5th

2009 West Side Story 3rd

2010 Toy SOULdier 5th

2011 Angels and Demons 1st

2012 12.25 4th

2013 Side x Side 3rd

2014 Promise: An American Portrait 3rd

2015 Power of Ten 4th

You can call these shows garbage all you want, but they were constantly placing in the Top 5. I'm not saying I liked these shows, but people are talking like The Cadets have been irrelevant for decades. That's just not true. Dislike the shows all you want, but there's no denying the fact that prior to 2016 The Cadets were a perennial Top 5 corps. You may not like some of those shows, but some of the most disliked shows were in contention for a title. Some corps would die to have the kind of run The Cadets had.

There is also no denying the fact that The Cadets have had a rough time since 2016 with some pretty poor conceived shows. I'm willing to give 2018 a pass due to the amount of stuff that was happening as well as the design team truly had to do the best they could with the short time they had. 2019- I really thought would be the year things changed, but hopefully this year will be the one that will turn it around. It isn't going to happen overnight, but hopefully this year will be the year we can look back as the year The Cadets became a threat again. It certainly looks like a very strong team and hopefully they can bring in the performers to make it happen.

Cautiously optimistic at this point, but optimistic nevertheless.

The same over reaction to placement would happen if it were BD. When you’re consistently at the top, then aren’t, entitlement and bruised ego kicks in. See college football 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The same over reaction to placement would happen if it were BD. When you’re consistently at the top, then aren’t, entitlement and bruised ego kicks in. See college football 

some might say "expectations" - people have high expectations for Cadets - not just during the DCI era either, they have a slew of national titles as you know prior

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

some might say "expectations" - people have high expectations for Cadets - not just during the DCI era either, they have a slew of national titles as you know prior

same thing

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

And, given the fact the director put them in jeopardy, that also may have caused a lot of people (INCLUDING MYSELF) to go nuts. So there's that. 

• Like 1

May I take this opportunity to say something about Garfield......?

I will always appreciate their 2002 show. It was the summer after 09/11 and I loved the patriotic theme and unity as a country. Hope they return into the top three soon.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

May I take this opportunity to say something about Garfield......?

I will always appreciate their 2002 show. It was the summer after 09/11 and I loved the patriotic theme and unity as a country. Hope they return into the top three soon.

2002 Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

Early Season:

Finals: