Cadets 2020

I'm curious. What encore music would you want to hear from The Cadets?

What old classic or just about anything?

I would love to hear "I don't know how to love him" and maybe Shaft or the Jetsons (again).

18 minutes ago, njthundrrd said:

I would love to hear "I don't know how to love him" and maybe Shaft or the Jetsons (again).

Jeremiah is a real toe-tapper. 🙂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Was MADLY in love with this show but absolutely HATED the narration. But I was at finals live and it didn't really bother me too much then. Still love the hell out of this show. 

"Hated the narration" is a massive understatement. I know I have given this show some grief, but that is ONLY because of the narration. It was completely unnecessary. Not only was it unnecessary it was overload. That corps was so extremely talented and the drill writing is fantastic. Horn line.... wow. It's a shame that when many of us look back on this show (myself included) the first thing that is remembered is how bad the narration was and not how great this corps truly was. That is a serious design flaw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, njthundrrd said:

Overjoyed

Hands down, '83 Rocky Point.  I was 10 years into drum corps that night and was at finals.  I remember thinking how stunning it was - I was in awe.  

I'd love to be "Wow" like that every year but then, of course, they wouldn't inspire "This Changes Everything" like that show did.

Actually, I'd take anything from '83 to '93, or... just to be rocked like that again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ShortAndFast said:

One of my favorite DCI memories is East 2002. Cadets played BWBB as an encore. The crowd completely lost it. So ... they played BWBB again.

YES!!!  BWBB encore is one of my top 10 Allentown memories.  

For Cadets to do a production like that today would be really really interesting.  Bring it on!

I think there are right times and wrong times to do a throwback show. I truly feel 2020 is not one of those times. They really need to do something that looks forward next year and not backwards. Time to innovate. I really want to see something new and pushes the envelope. Bringing back a classic show is nice, but has been done a LOT from The Cadets.  

As far as encores go, I am okay with them playing something from the past. There's nothing wrong with that, although whatever it is needs to be exciting. The Cadets need to market themselves and make them a group that fans want to follow and kids want to join. We know what they can be, but a lot of younger fans see them for what they have been these last few years. 

• Like 3

1990 is one of my favorite Cadets shows, and I'd love to see them take on an American composer-themed version again.  However, in 2020 DCI you have to have a coherent visual program first, then you can soundtrack or score the music to fit.  It's certainly possible to marry the two, but they *really* have to have the visual idea first.  

Mike

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

just going to drop this right here - "Immortal" Black Dyke Band

ballad thru finale

Very nice George. Sounds somewhat similar to some Ron Nelson works.