Cadets 2020

31 minutes ago, MikeN said:

However, in 2020 DCI you have to have a coherent visual program first, then you can soundtrack or score the music to fit.  It's certainly possible to marry the two, but they *really* have to have the visual idea first.  

Mike

They certainly need a cohesive approach - however I personally felt 2019 we saw this trend waning and music more at the forefront in design/relevance 

Hoping in 2020 music (with marching) is once again the dominant design trend - songs with a beginning, middle and end. 

Totally agree though MikeN - not time for a retro/greatest hits show (as tempting as it may sound)

Cadets 2020 should keep it simple - good music with good visual design. IMO

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

1990 is one of my favorite Cadets shows, and I'd love to see them take on an American composer-themed version again.  However, in 2020 DCI you have to have a coherent visual program first, then you can soundtrack or score the music to fit.  It's certainly possible to marry the two, but they *really* have to have the visual idea first.  

Mike

I would say you have to have a strong show concept that lends itself to a visual presentation. Just adding stages and tarps does not equal “visual.”

Tell an interesting story that people can emotionally follow.

8 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

I'm curious. What encore music would you want to hear from The Cadets?

What old classic or just about anything?

I would love to hear "I don't know how to love him" and maybe Shaft or the Jetsons (again).

the entire 84 show, maybe I dont know how to love him from 77, anything 92-93, 2000, 2011

• Like 1

7 hours ago, East9900 said:

"Hated the narration" is a massive understatement. I know I have given this show some grief, but that is ONLY because of the narration. It was completely unnecessary. Not only was it unnecessary it was overload. That corps was so extremely talented and the drill writing is fantastic. Horn line.... wow. It's a shame that when many of us look back on this show (myself included) the first thing that is remembered is how bad the narration was and not how great this corps truly was. That is a serious design flaw.

narration to this day keeps me away from the show

• Like 2

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

just going to drop this right here - "Immortal" Black Dyke Band

ballad thru finale

so very cadets !!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

just going to drop this right here - "Immortal" Black Dyke Band

ballad thru finale

Great stuff. Kind of reminds me of Born on the 4th of July by John Williams (the slow section). The closing of this is killer. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 4:54 PM, George Dixon said:

lots of conversation about 2007 Cadets lately - here they are

Some hated the narration (me), and some could put up with the narration (not me), BUT...this may well be one of the cleanest, most demanding, visual displays ever put on the field. I still had it no. 1, but the narration still makes me bite my tongue. 

• Like 1

Still love watching the sheer speed and demand of this visual package. Talk about cardio...and that mello section. Just crazy the demand in this visual and music program. (1993 Cadets, In The Spring at the Time When Kings Go Off to War)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Some hated the narration (me), and some could put up with the narration (not me), BUT...this may well be one of the cleanest, most demanding, visual displays ever put on the field. I still had it no. 1, but the narration still makes me bite my tongue. 

That narration ruined the best performed show of the year and robbed a magnificent membership of a championship. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1