Cadets 2020

I think the people who have tried to keep the corps afloat were worried about what they should have been worried about - getting the kids down the road safely and fielding a corps.  The longer-term financial stability will be worked on, but they wouldn't be around right now without having done that.  

Can't make an omelette without cracking eggs.  I think pulling certain people out of "retirement" was absolutely right- both for the on-field product and to get the kids in the door who can pay (not saying they couldn't before - just that talent begets talent).

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Sounds to me like you really aren’t adding anything to the conversation.

Some people just want to throw rocks at others dealing with the mess while they don’t do a #### thing....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Algernon said:

So clearly the financial issues are still prevalent. I would hope those staff members who were informed their payments would be "delayed" were able to convey that same sentiment to anyone they may owe money to.

Sounds to me like the same poor fiscal management that's been going on for years.

It sure is shocking that decades of financial mismanagement weren't fixed over night with a new administration :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

this. The other corps stay under the radar though because they haven't been dragged through the press. and like i said two pages ago, the big end of year DCi check cures most ills, so it's probably not arrived yet

Exactly. The DCI check is big, they have the larger USB events with gate and other revenues plus audition camp fees starting to arrive. It gets better from here... It will take a few years at best to get on nice solid ground. In the meantime, spend wisely on quality staff and design & give the members/volunteers/donors a good product and experience to rally around

• Like 3

20 hours ago, George Dixon said:

In the old days at Cadets (and many many other corps) bills just went unpaid - why do you think the corps name changed three times? To escape debt. Why do you think so many corps have folded with massive debts? Why do you think Cadets ran out of NJ to PA? The fiscal management, volunteer treatment etc were poor.

Altering a payment schedule and letting folks know upfront is far far better than what was done under prior leadership

20 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I’m not sure why some seem to expect that 18 months after GH termination (and the bombshell news) all debt would be retired and the organization would be rolling in cash.

It will take several years or longer.

The delayed schedule for staff contracts isn’t unusually - 2 other 2019 top 12 corps are literally doing the same thing right now

Drum corps is a losing financial proposition- and anyone that’s been involved in an organization for more than five minutes knows that 

Imagine Stu on this thread...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Imagine Stu on this thread...

great i have a migraine already

• Haha 1

(Snip):Over the last six months, members of The Cadets alumni have created an organization to represent the oldest and most honored Drum and Bugle Corps, The Cadets Alumni Association (CAA). An organization representing all regions of the United Stateas, Asia-Pacific, and Europe is structured to operate well into the future organizing, promoting, and running events of the CAA. The CAA Executive Leadership is teaming with the YEA Executive Team to help promote the October Homecoming Weekend, which we encourage all to attend.

link:

https://yea.org/news/cadets-alumni-association-formed

• Like 4