Cadets 2020

On 9/23/2019 at 5:17 PM, George Dixon said:

I’m somewhat over all these side shows

A lot of rumors and drive by hit jobs and zero credible direct information 

so with that said - go Cadets, can’t wait until the 2020 version debuts! I have a feeling they will be something very very special 

i will personally be supporting, donating, sponsoring and cheering them on in a manner I haven’t done in quite a while!

It’s not binary, George. I wish the Cadets the best but choosing to not pay people is hardly a “Side show.” It’s actually not legal. 

Choosing to not treat serious situations as serious situations is exactly what has gotten Cadets into the situation they are in now. Being a fan doesn’t mean you simply look the other way at bad news. It means you face it together, contribute to the solution, and hold them to a high standard.

In any other business not paying your employees for months would be unthinkable. If my employer sent me this email I’d sue them before the sun set and a judge would immediately issue a summary judgment against my employer. You can actually be shut down as a business for this. It’s not a “side show.”

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BeachBum said:

Yes, you can rewatch the brass & guard webinars at live.cadets.org

In other news..... Greg Lagola is at Cadets now?!? 😧 😍 Source: https://yea.org/cadets/staff

Greg also works with Bluecoats and, at least last year, SCV.

From reading the comments on this thread, it seems that the Cadets,and I'm sure a number of other corps, 

especially those without an income stream outside of the corps proper ,operate on a somewhat (that's being polite) shaky financial model.

If the comments here are accurate,the Cadets operate in the "red" until an end of the year DCI payment.

I run a small business,I have to pay employees,taxes,expenses every pay period don't corps ?

If a corps isn't paying staff,are they also not paying suppliers for things like vehicle leasing ?

It also sounds like the corps have little or no "cash reserve".

That can be a recipe for disaster.

If that's the case,and they need to use their end of the year DCi payment,for the previous season's 

bills,they'd being starting  the next year in a financial hole.

If I'm missing something,please tell me.

7 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

It’s not binary, George. I wish the Cadets the best but choosing to not pay people is hardly a “Side show.” It’s actually not legal. 

Choosing to not treat serious situations as serious situations is exactly what has gotten Cadets into the situation they are in now. Being a fan doesn’t mean you simply look the other way at bad news. It means you face it together, contribute to the solution, and hold them to a high standard.

1. They are paying people, according to the rumor mill they have delayed the payment schedule. Nothing they have done is "illegal" - it's certainly not great but you're exaggerating 

2. Perhaps you missed all my other posts - where I talk about how slow and steady progress on the fiscal front which will take several years to get back on solid ground

3. I hold Cadets to the highest standards - and believe me, I contribute

4. Posting private emails on a website to spread rumors and bad news is not "contributing to a solution" - donating and volunteering is. Are you?

5. Finally PRIOR MANAGEMENT is what got the Cadets in the situation they are in now - not this group. Burned bridges and poor fiscal management have. Damage to the organization's reputation have cost them housing, donations, membership & importantly bands have defected their USB circuit. A lot of work being done on all these fronts to move the ball forward. But please don't blame it on current leadership.

G.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Okay, but...

In any other business not paying your employees for months would be unthinkable. If my employer sent me this email I’d sue them before the sun set and a judge would immediately issue a summary judgment against my employer. You can actually be shut down as a business for this.

A drum corps is not a business.  It is a non-profit organization pursuing a mission.  Oh, we like to talk about how drum corps should aspire to run "like a business", but that comparison only goes so far.

Drum corps overextend their operations tremendously in their mission-driven quest to compete.  Financially, the typical drum corps overextends about 50% beyond their "business" revenue, making up that difference through charitable donations/gaming.  Their labor force is further overextended through liberal use of volunteers.  Even when people are paid, it is usually fee-for-service, per-diem, or a very low pay rate... the positions are temporary, contractors... and the people performing them work long and irregular hours without punching a clock.  With the exception of the executive director, there are no "employees".  People do not work with a drum corps to make a proper living, to strike it rich, or because it is a good "business" - they work with a drum corps because they share in its mission.  They are part of that overachieving team striving to compete.  

Anyone with your attitude should not work for a drum corps.  If yours was the prevailing attitude, nearly every corps would cease to exist by Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

“Delayed the payment schedule”. That’s one way to put it I guess. If my employer “delayed the payment schedule” on me, I would be seeking out a new employer. I guess that kind of ‘tude on my part would make me a less than ideal dream corps activity employee. The ideal employee understands that this is a nonprofit activity where corps run on a shoestring budget and pay is low and you understand your pay might be “delayed.”  In other words, the ideal employee is either a saint or a sucker. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, FTNK said:

I think it’s good for adults to weigh “not giving up” vs responsibilities they have to past and present employees and members, who are ~other peoples’ children~

I see you are still "Bitter Betty" as far as the Cadets go.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Okay, but...

A drum corps is not a business.  It is a non-profit organization pursuing a mission.  Oh, we like to talk about how drum corps should aspire to run "like a business", but that comparison only goes so far.

Drum corps overextend their operations tremendously in their mission-driven quest to compete.  Financially, the typical drum corps overextends about 50% beyond their "business" revenue, making up that difference through charitable donations/gaming.  Their labor force is further overextended through liberal use of volunteers.  Even when people are paid, it is usually fee-for-service, per-diem, or a very low pay rate... the positions are temporary, contractors... and the people performing them work long and irregular hours without punching a clock.  With the exception of the executive director, there are no "employees".  People do not work with a drum corps to make a proper living, to strike it rich, or because it is a good "business" - they work with a drum corps because they share in its mission.  They are part of that overachieving team striving to compete.  

Anyone with your attitude should not work for a drum corps.  If yours was the prevailing attitude, nearly every corps would cease to exist by Thanksgiving.

Your Honor, I realize I promised to pay my employees every two weeks, but let me remind you that I am a not-for-profit and therefore the rules don’t apply to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1