Cadets 2020

10 hours ago, BeachBum said:

Yes, you can rewatch the brass & guard webinars at live.cadets.org

In other news..... Greg Lagola is at Cadets now?!? 😧 😍 Source: https://yea.org/cadets/staff

Good to see Greg Lagola is back with the Cadets. Not really surprising though...he has a long history with the Cadets. He is a good guy and he brings a lot of knowledge and experience!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Your Honor, I realize I promised to pay my employees every two weeks, but let me remind you that I am a not-for-profit and therefore the rules don’t apply to me.

No one is saying that. Are you debating yourself or someone in this thread. No one is saying "rules do not apply"

• Like 1

Still appears as though some on hear are hoping that the Cadets cease operations...sad. Thankfully the Cadets have a dedicated staff of good people who are ignoring the critics and are committed to moving the corps in a positive direction. Kudos to the good people at the helm of the Cadets!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dans said:

Still appears as though some on hear are hoping that the Cadets cease operations...sad. Thankfully the Cadets have a dedicated staff of good people who are ignoring the critics and are committed to moving the corps in a positive direction. Kudos to the good people at the helm of the Cadets!

I believe some people are just more frustrated because the thought was that a lot of this would change with new people at the helm. While we know change takes a relatively long time to take place, it's important to understand that Cadets need no more controversy given the circumstances.

However, I am ALWAYS against giving up. That's not the lesson Cadets taught when I marched and I don't believe many people on this thread who marched there learned that lesson as well.

Regardless, I, too, am pleased with the people who are (back) at the helm and although I am reserving any excitement until August, I am hopeful that we will get a competitive product this upcoming season. FHNSAB...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Your Honor, I realize I promised to pay my employees every two weeks, but let me remind you that I am a not-for-profit and therefore the rules don’t apply to me.

Independent contractors.  Depending on the location, there may be a legal difference.

Mike

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I believe some people are just more frustrated because the thought was that a lot of this would change with new people at the helm. While we know change takes a relatively long time to take place, it's important to understand that Cadets need no more controversy given the circumstances.

However, I am ALWAYS against giving up. That's not the lesson Cadets taught when I marched and I don't believe many people on this thread who marched there learned that lesson as well.

Regardless, I, too, am pleased with the people who are (back) at the helm and although I am reserving any excitement until August, I am hopeful that we will get a competitive product this upcoming season. FHNSAB...

Thanks for your words. It upsets me that some continue to pound on the Cadets without knowing all the facts. They have certainly made mistakes in the past; however they are working hard to right the ship.

36 minutes ago, dans said:

I am absolutely not in that camp.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dans said:

Thanks for your words. It upsets me that some continue to pound on the Cadets without knowing all the facts. They have certainly made mistakes in the past; however they are working hard to right the ship.

Again the two are not binary.

We all ignored obvious serious issues in the past under the guise of “supporting the cadets” — and clearly that is never a good thing. That leads to what happened last year. 

Pointing out clear missteps is not a bad thing and it should not be discouraged. It isn’t being negative. It’s bring to light things that tarnish the corps. If you care you should not settle. That’s what far far lesser corps have done and that’s what dragged them to the bottom.

I’m done with this topic, but I don’t care who you are, there should be no excuse for not paying your employees. Hiding behind being a NFP (not saying they are, but it was suggested that this was a valid excuse) is BS.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Independent contractors.  Depending on the location, there may be a legal difference.

Mike

That’s not the Cadets standard. I don’t care what Other corps do.

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

“Delayed the payment schedule”. That’s one way to put it I guess. If my employer “delayed the payment schedule” on me, I would be seeking out a new employer.

Most of them are now... just saying.

I guess that kind of ‘tude on my part would make me a less than ideal dream corps activity employee. The ideal employee understands that this is a nonprofit activity where corps run on a shoestring budget and pay is low and you understand your pay might be “delayed.”  In other words, the ideal employee is either a saint or a sucker. 

Yes.

Not saying this is right (or wrong) - just that this is how the activity operates.  If you are looking for a real job, where you would be an "employee" with a reliable pay schedule, you should look for a real business to provide that.

• Like 1