Cadets 2020

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

given i have seen other corps called out in other places for this same thing, I truly hope you're as hard ### to them as well.

Oh really?  Name the corps. Looking for active corps. 

Edited by HockeyDad

A spending cap would have to have so many caveats. Would there be limits on the fundraising you can do? A standard membership fee for all corps? Will organizations in higher rent areas be given more money to cover those costs? West coast corps given more budget because they usually have more miles travelled?  In principle, I think a spending cap would make corps more competitive, but I also think it would water down the large corps that put the butts in the seats. 

• Like 1

There are many stories about drum corps not paying their staff on time, or just not being able to pay them period. I know of very credible stories which I cannot share, but let's just say that some excellent instructors and designers have not taken salaries for several years to help some corps. In a few cases I know these instructors have been paid back in full and then some. 

Let's face it, some drum corps are fortunate to come up with JUST enough money to tour. Some barely make it to the finish line, and on numerous occasions we've seen corps make it to the middle of the season and not know how they are getting to the end. I recall just a few years ago many of us donating to keep a certain corps on the road. It would be nice if every corps could have what Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard have. 

Edited by jwillis35

30 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

You’re still comparing profession organizations like NHL to Drumcorp. It’s just not the same. So let’s bring down successful organizations like BD, Crown. Coats and SCV to a even level . That’s insane. Corps fold in the past for various financial reasons but let’s not punish those who manage successfully. 

I don't know what being professional vs. non-profit has anything to do about it.  The argument for the salary cap in pro sports is (1) more parity in competition (2) control of costs.

The argument for a budget cap in DCI is exactly the same--more parity in competition and control of costs.  Profit or non profit has nothing to do with it.

It's definitely a "needs of the activity" vs. the "needs of the organization" argument, but, if the NFL is an example, the teams have certainly not suffered as the NFL's supremacy over other sports got even stronger.  In 1995, the World Series viewership about a third the size of the Super Bowl.  Last year, they were 1/7th the size.

34 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

A spending cap would have to have so many caveats. Would there be limits on the fundraising you can do? A standard membership fee for all corps? Will organizations in higher rent areas be given more money to cover those costs? West coast corps given more budget because they usually have more miles travelled?  In principle, I think a spending cap would make corps more competitive, but I also think it would water down the large corps that put the butts in the seats. 

I don't believe much would change. Winners just know how to win, How they teach ,how they think, how they design, how they manage what they have, little or a lot, how they retain, what they offer. Success has nothing to do with how much one has. All it does is allow what one wants and has the right to do.

The same goes for just the opposite.

Side note : success is determined by each in individual corps , not outsiders. One can be a failure in ones eyes by moving out of the top 5 as well as success can be simply making finals or even just putting out a corps. Measuring success is from within.

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

You’re still comparing profession organizations like NHL to Drumcorp. It’s just not the same. So let’s bring down successful organizations like BD, Crown. Coats and SCV to a even level . That’s insane. Corps fold in the past for various financial reasons but let’s not punish those who manage successfully. 

I'm with you on this.  I work with an Open Class corps, and none of us at the org level have *ever* thought Vanguard Cadets or BDB should be restricted for their success.  If anything, we're all trying more and more to take best practices from the successful ones and try to get us up to that level too.

Mike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

I don't know what being professional vs. non-profit has anything to do about it.  The argument for the salary cap in pro sports is (1) more parity in competition (2) control of costs.

The argument for a budget cap in DCI is exactly the same--more parity in competition and control of costs.  Profit or non profit has nothing to do with it.

It's definitely a "needs of the activity" vs. the "needs of the organization" argument, but, if the NFL is an example, the teams have certainly not suffered as the NFL's supremacy over other sports got even stronger.  In 1995, the World Series viewership about a third the size of the Super Bowl.  Last year, they were 1/7th the size.

I’m a lawyer so there is a big big difference, we’re talking apples and oranges about how non profits and professional organizations work. Example....let’s say for argument sake that Tampa Buccaneers are not profitable. The owner will put them up for sale. It will he sold. Cadets can’t pay their bills are have no money. They are non profit. Unless there is a flow of cash that can save them they go under and fold.  So let’s stop this issue of caps for non profits. You just cannot cap how much a non profits raise. DiCI corps are all non profit. end Of Story. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

A spending cap would have to have so many caveats. 

What's the cost of doing business in Silicon Valley vs the cost of doing business in Madison, Wisconsin or Rockford, Illinois? Comparable? Yeah, not too much.

DCI (aka "the corps") could look at some caps on capital expenditures to help keep the playing field somewhat level (a line array set of speakers costs more or less the same anywhere you go), but occupancy, staff costs, touring/bus charters, etc, are costs that are somewhat out of the corps' control. Even then that could become problematic, as some high visibility corps have sponsorship deals that offer them better pricing on equipment than some others (and good for them!), but that could get sucked into any sort of expenditure cap.

In the end, these are independent charities with their own Boards of Directors and their own capacity to fundraise and hire. Nothing's stopping a poor but incredibly intelligent set of individuals currently working in Open Class or the lower ranks of World Class from putting together a team that can revolutionize the activity with better ideas and top level performance;  effective ideas and solid teaching doesn't really cost that much more than average teaching and not-good design. Not every problem goes back to money.

Edited by Slingerland