Cadets 2020

On 9/28/2019 at 11:11 AM, MikeD said:

IMO you have this exactly backwards. This is new management attempting to straighten out years of miss-management.  I'm sure they would rather be floating along with wonderful cash flow so they can pay the folks in a timely manner, as identified in their adjudicator materials. Look back in history of the many corps that failed over time that never were financially sound, that ran seat-of-the-pants operations. IF this approach YEA is taking is true (as all we know is what a person posted), it seems to me that their admin team is working to get their fiscal house in order. 

As to your "wink, wink" statement....if they renege on their payments later, how many people would EVER come back next year as staff or adjudicators?

IMO they are working towards creating a professional business-like operation. It doesn't happen overnight. NOT running shows as they work through this is the WORST idea I have seen posted, as it would eliminate a large revenue stream just when they need it most, and it would be the end of USBands, for sure, which IMO is a terrible idea.

Admin hat on: If anyone has an email from YEA to the staff and adjudicators, do not post it here. It is against DCP Guidelines to post emails from anybody other than yourself.

i would imagine they deeper they dig, the more they find and not all of it good.

On 9/28/2019 at 10:11 AM, HockeyDad said:

Still waiting. I’ll just conclude there are no others, as there is zero reason to not actually provide a name or names of other active corps who aren’t paying their staff, or, delaying payment 

There are plenty of reasons.

1.  Some of those who demand "proof" of the obvious are just being argumentative, and still will not be satisfied no matter what proof we provide.

2.  Some of those who demand "proof" of the obvious are really just trolling for dirt on other corps, to spawn more cancel culture threads.

3.  Some of us do not have all the details about why a corps is delaying payment, for how long, or whether payees were informed in advance, and therefore see no point in posting about it in public and generating nasty speculation (you know, like this thread).

4.  Some of us understand the nature of cash flow in drum corps, and think it either too obvious or too minor to argue about.

5.  Some of us actually like drum corps, and would therefore prefer not to create or exacerbate problems by slinging mud on a public forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

you can do whatever you want. even when given proof it doesn't shut you up

“Midwest”. That constitutes proof?  Good one. 

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

1.  Some of those who demand "proof" of the obvious are just being argumentative, and still will not be satisfied no matter what proof we provide.

2.  Some of those who demand "proof" of the obvious are really just trolling for dirt on other corps, to spawn more cancel culture threads.

3.  Some of us do not have all the details about why a corps is delaying payment, for how long, or whether payees were informed in advance, and therefore see no point in posting about it in public and generating nasty speculation (you know, like this thread).

4.  Some of us understand the nature of cash flow in drum corps, and think it either too obvious or too minor to argue about.

5.  Some of us actually like drum corps, and would therefore prefer not to create or exacerbate problems by slinging mud on a public forum.

I like how you put the word “proof” in quotes even though I never even used the word in my post. I asked for other names so we’re not appear to be singling out Cadets unfairly. In response every excuse possible is all we get. BTW calling out a corps for the crappy practice of not paying the help is far from slinging mud. It’s accountability. They need to be called out.  Also - “delaying payment”. Lol. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 8:16 PM, Slingerland said:

In the end, these are independent charities with their own Boards of Directors and their own capacity to fundraise and hire. Nothing's stopping a poor but incredibly intelligent set of individuals currently working in Open Class or the lower ranks of World Class from putting together a team that can revolutionize the activity with better ideas and top level performance;  effective ideas and solid teaching doesn't really cost that much more than average teaching and not-good design. Not every problem goes back to money.

But as this thread illustrates, it is not just "money" (i.e. cash on hand) that is at issue, but also financial reputation.  Bill Gates could start a corps today, and offer enough dollars to hire some of the best staff in the activity.  If I started a corps today, and made the exact same offers, they would not budge.

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I like how you put the word “proof” in quotes even though I never even used the word in my post. 

Never said you did.  My post is my general response, not just a response to you personally.

I asked for other names so we’re not appear to be singling out Cadets unfairly. 

That is so cute.  But:

In response every excuse possible is all we get. BTW calling out a corps for the crappy practice of not paying the help is far from slinging mud. It’s accountability. They need to be called out.  

For someone who just a sentence earlier was so concerned about "singling out Cadets unfairly", you think accusing them of plain "not paying" might be unfairly premature?

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Well said...thank you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

“Midwest”. That constitutes proof?  Good one. 

you have a very nice drum corps

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

some days i heart you

11 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I like how you put the word “proof” in quotes even though I never even used the word in my post. I asked for other names so we’re not appear to be singling out Cadets unfairly. In response every excuse possible is all we get. BTW calling out a corps for the crappy practice of not paying the help is far from slinging mud. It’s accountability. They need to be called out.  Also - “delaying payment”. Lol. 

Give up now, all you're going to get is defensive responses