Cadets 2020

a lot of 2020 Cadets staff (and folks from the past) teach Stoneman Douglas HS Band in FL - a BOA band. Particularly visual & guard folks

in 2018 show in Park Vista they were performing last when it started to downpour during the ballad and especially the closer

you can see elements of Cadets influence in the guard work (large silks/long poles, swing flags in the ballad ala Cadets 1998) and then as the rain pours during the closer you can see a hint of that famous Cadets willpower. These things can be "taught"

crowd goes nuts for the last 2 minutes - and remember, these are HS kids pushing through it - I enjoyed it enough to share:

• Like 4

On 10/1/2019 at 10:00 AM, dans said:

This thread is meaningless speculation. If we had all the facts, there is a slight chance of some real exchange of ideas...otherwise, this thread is in the fictional category. 

Really, isn't this forum broken down into mostly opinion and speculation? 

But I admit, I clicked the laughing emoji because those other two also did first, and it seemed to be such a blatantly obvious statement that I thought you were joking or being sarcastic.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Really, isn't this forum broken down into mostly opinion and speculation? 

But I admit, I clicked the laughing emoji because those other two also did first, and it seemed to be such a blatantly obvious statement that I thought you were joking or being sarcastic.

I have this crazy notion that opinions and speculation from educated people should be based on the facts we know. And, if we don't have all the facts, what is the point of drawing conclusions.

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

a lot of 2020 Cadets staff (and folks from the past) teach Stoneman Douglas HS Band in FL - a BOA band. Particularly visual & guard folks

in 2018 show in Park Vista they were performing last when it started to downpour during the ballad and especially the closer

you can see elements of Cadets influence in the guard work (large silks/long poles, swing flags in the ballad ala Cadets 1998) and then as the rain pours during the closer you can see a hint of that famous Cadets willpower. These things can be "taught"

crowd goes nuts for the last 2 minutes - and remember, these are HS kids pushing through it - I enjoyed it enough to share:

Incredible.

Gotta admit, I teared up watching these kids.   

There's some inner strength there, for sure.  And it really couldn't be ignorant "WTH do we do now?  IT'S RAINING!" but, rather, it has to be that they are in Florida and their director drilled into them "Sometime, some day during a show it's going to rain.  When it does, unless we clear the field, you KEEP GOING."

The last two minutes were all emotion and guts, and great training.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

On 10/8/2019 at 6:04 PM, George Dixon said:

Pretty awesome video.  I’ve never seen that band before, but I actually got chills seeing the last two minutes of this video.

And you are 100% correct - these things can be taught.  That’s my hope and EXPECTATION of this Cadets new/old staff.  Teach the members what it means to be Cadets, in every facet.  When sitting in the audience at J. Birney Crum, I want to FEEL that sense of AWE when they enter the field.  Yes!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

Pretty awesome video.  I’ve never seen that band before, but I actually got chills seeing the last two minutes of this video.

And you are 100% correct - these things can be taught.  That’s my hope and EXPECTATION of this Cadets new/old staff.  Teach the members what it means to be Cadets, in every facet.  When sitting in the audience at J. Birney Crum, I want to FEEL that sense of AWE when they enter the field.  Yes!!!!

I want to feel that rush of emotion from Allentown in 2018 at the end. I have not seen that crowd react to the corps like since 2011...probably more like 2009

• Like 6

On 10/8/2019 at 8:45 PM, garfield said:

Incredible.

Gotta admit, I teared up watching these kids.   

There's some inner strength there, for sure.  And it really couldn't be ignorant "WTH do we do now?  IT'S RAINING!" but, rather, it has to be that they are in Florida and their director drilled into them "Sometime, some day during a show it's going to rain.  When it does, unless we clear the field, you KEEP GOING."

The last two minutes were all emotion and guts, and great training.

They are in Florida, it was probably more like "Everytime, every day during a show it's going to rain at some point"

• Haha 1

Perhaps its my Cadet training, but I cannot even imagine stopping a performance due to rain. It never happened to me in high school/college/drum corps. 

That performance is great, but it doesn't show me that that grit is being taught. It shows me that the band directors/staff are allowing them to own what they're doing. They are teaching it in a way that makes them enjoy what they have.  When you are doing it for yourself and not because you have to, you perform it no matter the obstacle. 

IMO you can't teach work ethic and hard work, but you can teach in a way that allows that mindset to grow within the performers

I'm tired of the Cadets pushing the women issue at every turn.  I don't know of a corps that has opened their ranks to anyone; women, men, gay, straight more than The Cadets. So have other corps. I don't think equality comes and stays when you push one segment over the rest. The women have made The Cadets the corps it is  and so has every other member that has put on the uniform and marched with The Cadet Pride.

It didn't work as this years theme and it won't work for the corps in the future if you don't get off the guilt trip.

Edited by oldsnare
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1