Cadets 2020

1 hour ago, oldsnare said:

I'm tired of the Cadets pushing the women issue at every turn.  I don't know of a corps that has opened their ranks to anyone; women, men, gay, straight more than The Cadets. So have other corps. I don't think equality comes and stays when you push one segment over the rest. The women have made The Cadets the corps it is  and so has every other member that has put on the uniform and marched with The Cadet Pride.

It didn't work as this years theme and it won't work for the corps in the future if you don't get off the guilt trip.

Guilt trip? Did we watch the same video? 

12 hours ago, oldsnare said:

I'm tired of the Cadets pushing the women issue at every turn.  I don't know of a corps that has opened their ranks to anyone; women, men, gay, straight more than The Cadets. So have other corps. I don't think equality comes and stays when you push one segment over the rest. The women have made The Cadets the corps it is  and so has every other member that has put on the uniform and marched with The Cadet Pride.

It didn't work as this years theme and it won't work for the corps in the future if you don't get off the guilt trip.

Simmer down. It's not only the 85th anniversary of the corps this year, it's also the 50th anniversary of when the corps allowed women.. so it makes sense to me that they're talking about it.  Jeez. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, oldsnare said:

When dudes treat women like objects for hundreds of years, your being offended at their putting women at the forefront of the activity is now secondary. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, oldsnare said:

Given the corps recovery from GHS*, and the 50th anniversary of the first female guard, I have no issue with them to-date. Of course, I do think it is time to move onward and upward and not dwell on those things moving forward.

* = George Hopkins Syndrome

• Like 2

On 10/15/2019 at 9:00 PM, oldsnare said:

hey that was a huge moment in corps history. I'm ok with it even if i think they should leave social messaging off the field product

Edited by Jeff Ream

15 hours ago, MikeD said:

Given the corps recovery from GHS*, and the 50th anniversary of the first female guard, I have no issue with them to-date. Of course, I do think it is time to move onward and upward and not dwell on those things moving forward.

* = George Hopkins Syndrome

Actually I prefer the term 'Hopocalypse' 

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Most Holy Name parish posted some great photos from Sunday's Mass. FHNSAB

Holy20Name20Cadets.jpg

Image may contain: 7 people, people standing and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing

Super cool!

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 9:00 PM, oldsnare said:

Cadets was between a rock and a hard place, or actually places. How do you appropriately celebrate 85 years when you are facing so many challenges, and 50 years of women in the corps which has been marred by accusations against a former director? If they had a show that somehow summarized 85 years, some would have claimed they had no reason to celebrate and they are not acknowledging serious issues. If they celebrated women in the corps throughout the years, it would have been labeled insensitive.

Last year’s show did not work for a variety of reasons, but I’m pretty certain that if somehow that show had worked, if “Bridge Over Troubled Waters” became the sleeper hit of the summer and we all sang along to “We Can Do Better” In the same way many of us did with Bloo and “Hey Jude,” and let’s say they placed 4th, we wouldn’t e having this discussion. 

I think we all want to see Cadets move in a more positive direction with great shows, and I agree we do not need any more apologizing from the corps, but last year is last year, and with some staff changes, and with a hopefully a healthy recruiting season, 

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

Most Holy Name parish posted some great photos from Sunday's Mass. FHNSAB

Holy20Name20Cadets.jpg

Image may contain: 7 people, people standing and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing

Question on pic in the middle. Is there a meaning behind the older gentlemen having their hand on someone else’s shoulder? Or perhaps it was for a little extra stability standing on those steps. (Been there... one HS reunion pic was done standing on bleachers. I’m on top with an arm in a weird position... it was for balance)