Cadets 2020

20 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Question on pic in the middle. Is there a meaning behind the older gentlemen having their hand on someone else’s shoulder? Or perhaps it was for a little extra stability standing on those steps. (Been there... one HS reunion pic was done standing on bleachers. I’m on top with an arm in a weird position... it was for balance)

I'm not even this guy's age, but I have to grab on to the toilet when I step out of the shower. :laughing:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Question on pic in the middle. Is there a meaning behind the older gentlemen having their hand on someone else’s shoulder? Or perhaps it was for a little extra stability standing on those steps. (Been there... one HS reunion pic was done standing on bleachers. I’m on top with an arm in a weird position... it was for balance)

As you may have guessed this is a photo of those drum majors present for the 85th Anniversary Memorial Mass. The current drum major is uniformed. Several of the others post here occasionally. When one sings the corps hymn, each corps member places his/her hand on the shoulder of the nearest member as a act of solidarity. If you watch when the corps members sing, they even shake each other's shoulder at a certain part of the hymn. Some have debated whether these men have been balanced, but all have agreed they have been extraordinary.

P.S. Top photo is 1948 corps at Garfield Park for homecoming.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, xandandl said:

As you may have guessed this is a photo of those drum majors present for the 85th Anniversary Memorial Mass. The current drum major is uniformed. Several of the others post here occasionally. When one sings the corps hymn, each corps member places his/her hand on the shoulder of the nearest member as a act of solidarity. If you watch when the corps members sing, they even shake each other's shoulder at a certain part of the hymn. Some have debated whether these men have been balanced, but all have agreed they have been extraordinary.

Never thought about all DMs. Thought maybe together for other reasons but no idea.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Top photo was Garfield High School stadium . In later years the championship flags would fly on top of those walls surrounding the entrances to the stadium. Quite the site BITD.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

More photos from Most Holy Name, 10/13/19 via Gary Wada (with Msgr. Reilly, pastor and Deacon Scotty McGarry, Cadet alum and Cadets historian)

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Gail Balls, lead Soprano, '77-'79

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, hat and outdoor

and note the stripes returned too for Cadet E. Jenkins!

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and shoes

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 1:46 PM, xandandl said:

More photos from Most Holy Name, 10/13/19 via Gary Wada (with Msgr. Reilly, pastor and Deacon Scotty McGarry, Cadet alum and Cadets historian)

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Gail Balls, lead Soprano, '77-'79

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, hat and outdoor

and note the stripes returned too for Cadet E. Jenkins!

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and shoes

Great shot of Gail!!!  She marched with Sunrisers after her DCI days were done. Married a guy in the corps!!!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 5:30 PM, GUARDLING said:

Top photo was Garfield High School stadium . In later years the championship flags would fly on top of those walls surrounding the entrances to the stadium. Quite the site BITD.

I know I've seen a photo somewhere but couldn't find it of late. (Most of my own records were lost when my apartment house burnt to the ground in 2012.)

But from Dave Shaw's (Once upon a time, rip) and Greg Cinzio's great book (online free at www.theholynamecadets.net/) I found pictures of what you speak. With Cadets Am. Leg. and DCI ultimate titles at 20 and BD approaching with 19 (and Cavies' VFW and DCI's not that far back) 2020 will be interesting. 72.jpg

3-3.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 4:19 PM, Fran Haring said:

Great shot of Gail!!!  She marched with Sunrisers after her DCI days were done. Married a guy in the corps!!!

Great pics! I hope they keep enough classic unis around for ceremony. It wouldn’t be the same with the pink and black mummy uniforms. 

Edited by cybersnyder

• 2 weeks later...