Cadets 2020

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Just gonna go ahead and post this 

riiiiiiiiiight here: 

giphy.gif

Just ONE drill move like that would be enough to satisfy me for the entire summer!  I’m not asking for too much, am I?  Just one...  Please?

• Like 5

On 10/22/2019 at 7:02 PM, xandandl said:

I know I've seen a photo somewhere but couldn't find it of late. (Most of my own records were lost when my apartment house burnt to the ground in 2012.)

But from Dave Shaw's (Once upon a time, rip) and Greg Cinzio's great book (online free at www.theholynamecadets.net/) I found pictures of what you speak. With Cadets Am. Leg. and DCI ultimate titles at 20 and BD approaching with 19 (and Cavies' VFW and DCI's not that far back) 2020 will be interesting. 72.jpg

3-3.jpg

ST. Rocco's (Bklyn) only claim to fame was in 1966 beating Garfield twice...WE kinda looked liked Garfield, so the joke was that the judges made a mistake...unfortunately we folded in 67..Always liked Cadets..still do!

6 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

ST. Rocco's (Bklyn) only claim to fame was in 1966 beating Garfield twice...WE kinda looked liked Garfield, so the joke was that the judges made a mistake...unfortunately we folded in 67..Always liked Cadets..still do!

You had those snappy teal uniforms well before wearing teal became a thing. DCP mod MikeD who marched Garfield Cadets drumline has said many times on DcP how smart your unis were, even if the Bensonhurst source of the financing was intriguing, ha. ha.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

You had those snappy teal uniforms well before wearing teal became a thing. DCP mod MikeD who marched Garfield Cadets drumline has said many times on DcP how smart your unis were, even if the Bensonhurst source of the financing was intriguing, ha. ha.

Yep... those St. Rocco's uniforms were awesome!!!

I don't even want to know about the funding. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They were sharp.  Maybe my favorite. 

I agree.... those, the Cadets' classic uni, and the ones used by the OLPH Ridgemen in NYC.  A beautiful blue and red.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree.... those, the Cadets' classic uni, and the ones used by the OLPH Ridgemen in NYC.  A beautiful blue and red.

St.Rocco"s and OLPH were, and still are a mile from each other...Add St. Rita's Brassmen and you had really good representation from Brooklyn minutes from each other

• Like 1

I'm late to this party but wanted to pass on congrats to any of the Mary Stoneman Douglas kids who finished their show in the rain. You've done something you'll talk about for ages.

I was part of the infamous BOA rain soaked prelims in the mid 80s Terre Haute regional. This was pretty much pre-props and pre-amp but we were one of the first bands to put electronics on the field with a rolling synth and amp set up.  It rained all day but started pouring as we took the field.  Since it was artificial turf and we were already wet and taking the field, they had us go on.  Our training was "march like its sunshine."  And the synth, amp, and synth player were draped in clear plastic.  It was a self contained rolling unit so...sure.  It was hilariously fun to do.  The saxes were trying to take advantage of some of our (early era) body work to dump water out of our horns so they didn't sound flat.  Music suffered, but our M&M was on point because we were having fun with it.

Best part was the next monday when our director made one of the rare moves of playing a judges tape back to us.  "Holy cow is it raining!  But if I wasn't soaking wet out here with you, you're the first band that's made it look like it's not raining!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

St.Rocco"s and OLPH were, and still are a mile from each other...Add St. Rita's Brassmen and you had really good representation from Brooklyn minutes from each other

All great corps in their day, I agree!!!

• Like 1

Heard through the grapevine that big news is coming this week... for better or for worse.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1