Cadets 2020

7 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Who would pay that?

i have a hunch, but i'll hold off. 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

most schools in PA were in session....elementary on up

Same here in NJ. Even my district, home of the Lakehurst Joint Base MDL (Maguire AF, Fort Dix Army and Lakehurst Naval base) was open. The NJ schools were closed last week for at least two days for the NJEA teachers' convention in AC. Some closed all week (mine among them) since Tuesday was election day and schools are used a lot for polling locations. That is why Disney calls it "Jersey Week"....I was there last week, and the parks were packed with Jersey folks.

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

Same here in NJ. Even my district, home of the Lakehurst Joint Base MDL (Maguire AF, Fort Dix Army and Lakehurst Naval base) was open. The NJ schools were closed last week for at least two days for the NJEA teachers' convention in AC. Some closed all week (mine among them) since Tuesday was election day and schools are used a lot for polling locations. That is why Disney calls it "Jersey Week"....I was there last week, and the parks were packed with Jersey folks.

One of them was an NJ school teacher in my family. :laughing:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

Supposedly a corps was asked by the Cadets for a loan.  This corps said give us USBands and we'll give you half a mil.

You and I need to make up a circuit and sell it to someone for that price. :tongue:

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

It has happened, not just in Texas. Here in NJ, as far back as the late 60's through the 70's the Herald News Band Festival was held in Clifton NJ on 3 Tuesday evenings in October, with about 15 bands per evening. More recently, we competed during the week when a USBands championship got rained out from the weekend. In that case, some bands did end up dropping out.

Newsday Band Festival on L.I. annually draws over 60 local bands (only a number who usually compete) and is held each year on a Tuesday-Weds-Thurs. night set up. It mimics BOA only in the energy shown and each band has to sit out a year every so often to allow the chance for other schools to participate. Almost never any drum corps recruiting however.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

Supposedly a corps was asked by the Cadets for a loan.  This corps said give us USBands and we'll give you half a mil.

That would be reasonable. 

16 hours ago, garfield said:

In fact, my amateur numbers don't include any growth in USBands over the time frame of such a deal.  If the circuit/business unit could be cleaned up and improved, could that net increase to a $1mm or more?  Maybe a pocket of money who would like to sweeten, improve, make more competitive, a competition circuit in time to flip it back to Cadets at a higher price.

What about Stanbury, or Yamaha, or System Blue?  Someone who can see the opportunity (if it's there) and the pockets to make it happen.

Simple.

🙂

Want to clarify:  The USBands revenue is pre-tax revenue.  It wouldn't be worth as much to a corporate buyer.  Another non-profit would likely be the best buyer, and one familiar with the music performance world would top the list I would think.  

9 hours ago, xandandl said:

Newsday Band Festival on L.I. annually draws over 60 local bands (only a number who usually compete) and is held each year on a Tuesday-Weds-Thurs. night set up. It mimics BOA only in the energy shown and each band has to sit out a year every so often to allow the chance for other schools to participate. Almost never any drum corps recruiting however.

The Herald News festival made it tough on the competitive bands back in the early 70's. Most competitive bands started on the left and exited on the right like drum corps. Shows were 9 minutes or even longer. The Herald News required bands to start on the right and exit to the left, and they had a 7-minute max. If you were overtime two years in a row you were kicked out. 

Moe Kazazian was the timing person. It was not a competition, but they had Dr Bernard Baggs do a sheet of commentary for each band most years.

They had a mass band number at the end each night, alternating between "Dem Basses" and "America, the Beautiful".

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MikeD said:

The Herald News festival made it tough on the competitive bands back in the early 70's. Most competitive bands started on the left and exited on the right like drum corps. Shows were 9 minutes or even longer. The Herald News required bands to start on the right and exit to the left, and they had a 7-minute max. If you were overtime two years in a row you were kicked out. 

Moe Kazazian was the timing person. It was not a competition, but they had Dr Bernard Baggs do a sheet of commentary for each band most years.

They had a mass band number at the end each night, alternating between "Dem Basses" and "America, the Beautiful".

I think they and Newsday used the same program consultant who gave each the same rules. Dr. Baggs and Aram Kazaian were class all the way.

• Like 1