Cadets 2020

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'm not so sure.  With what I'm hearing, it's possible that the reality is that USBands is now gutted and will never regain any ground given due to Hop.  It needs a new box, new wrapping, and fresh competitive blood.  It's obvious that the geography can support the circuit, it just can't support one run with that legacy.

I'm sure you're wrong about Cadets "going away" if they lose, sell, or shut down USB.  There are LOTS of corps that do not have secondary income streams and still manage to show up in Indy each year.  In a not-at-all ironic turn of events, the corps may be forced to compete "on the cheap" and remind itself and its members/supporters of a time before costumes and props when frenetic drill and favored reporatories brought fans to their feet.

The old guy led the corps into the "new" age; maybe it's time the new team leads the corps in a little reminiscence and remembrance that the phrase was not "Zig, Zig, Zig". 

Time to Zag?

Another unknown are the details of the settlement with Hopkins

15 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Is Algernon the best user name you could come up with Hop?

There are actually e mails to back that statement ,,,whoever that poster is

Funny though it was some of the same people who kissed the ring for a long time 

Bottom line...exposure = good....Motive, well That can be many things

Always about who knew what when and who did nothing ( or something ) AT THE TIME

Victim blaming though is never acceptable IMO

Edited by GUARDLING

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

USBands as an organization also serves young people in the marching arts, so in and of itself it could exist as a marching band circuit with or without the Cadets. It would then be on a par with TOB, Cavalcade, NYSFBC, NESBA, etc here in the Notheast. 

It was started as a total fundraiser for the Cadets, for sure, even being called The Cadets Marching Band Cooperative back in the 90's (CMBC). But it took off far more than its original scope.

I'm not saying it would be a  good thing, just that it is a bit different from your comparison scenario.

And therefore, it has value.  Maybe not "Give us USBands and we'll give you $500,000...".  Maybe not $50,000.  Maybe the alternative is only to shut it down and keep it for another day.  

Regardless, the focus has to be and, for now, stay on The Cadets and making it the very best it can be.

Lots and lots of terrific shows out there that are fielded and toured for a MM-income base of 50% of total revenue.  Cadets can do a super million-dollar show.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Well, there were 61 local USBands shows  this fall in NJ, PA, CT, NY, RI and Mass, not including regionals and championships and shows in other states (they had some in MD as well).  I think they need to do whatever they can to continue to put the GH era behind them, but they seem to have a decent base to build on. Who knows?

Absolutely agree that it could be perfectly situated to regain its prior success, just not with the stink of the old staff and connection to YEA! and Hop.  

It has value and The Cadets need an infusion.  It's sound business it seems to me.

25 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'm not so sure.  With what I'm hearing, it's possible that the reality is that USBands is now gutted and will never regain any ground given due to Hop.  It needs a new box, new wrapping, and fresh competitive blood.  It's obvious that the geography can support the circuit, it just can't support one run with that legacy.

I'm sure you're wrong about Cadets "going away" if they lose, sell, or shut down USB.  There are LOTS of corps that do not have secondary income streams and still manage to show up in Indy each year.  In a not-at-all ironic turn of events, the corps may be forced to compete "on the cheap" and remind itself and its members/supporters of a time before costumes and props when frenetic drill and favored reporatories brought fans to their feet.

The old guy led the corps into the "new" age; maybe it's time the new team leads the corps in a little reminiscence and remembrance that the phrase was not "Zig, Zig, Zig". 

Time to Zag?

"Going away" was too extreme. At risk, is probably not inaccurate. Every corps will die at some point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Other than 4 or 5 every drum corps is on thin ice. 

When the Open Class qualifications were re-stated and the new financial requirements placed for future World Class membership, I immediately wondered what DCI would ultimately look like if this applied to every corps now in order to compete in DCI 2020. Would DCI ultimately be only California corps and the Boston Crusaders?

21 minutes ago, xandandl said:

When the Open Class qualifications were re-stated and the new financial requirements placed for future World Class membership, I immediately wondered what DCI would ultimately look like if this applied to every corps now in order to compete in DCI 2020. Would DCI ultimately be only California corps and the Boston Crusaders?

And coats 

Just now, George Dixon said:

And coats 

Maybe Cadets should start collecting that "licensing copyright" for all those great Cadet alums now teaching at other corps (such as BAC and Coats, etc.) as not enough room in A-town.

• Like 1