Cadets 2020

On 11/28/2019 at 12:24 AM, Jeff Ream said:

percussion is music. it takes intelligence to get it 😎

I will say that I know more percussionists who can muddle through a brass book (myself included) than brass cats who can read a percussion book and get what's going on. I'm sure there are plenty who can do both but reading notes doesn't always mean you "get it." I've also noticed that most "drum guys and girls" really appreciate brass books. You'll usually find me at as many brass arcs as percussion arcs at Atlanta. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I will say that I know more percussionists who can muddle through a brass book (myself included) than brass cats who can read a percussion book and get what's going on. 

Heh... when I played (or attempted to play... LOL) auxiliary percussion with Westshoremen Alumni's front ensemble, it took me a while to get used to seeing all the music on one note across the page, instead of up and down the scale like a brass score, from my marching days. 

The brass stuff is much easier to follow. :tongue:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GEORGE ZINGALI.

You are missed and loved. 

Photos and information about Zingy here - https://digitalmarchingfx.com/george-zingali-tribute/

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I will say that I know more percussionists who can muddle through a brass book (myself included) than brass cats who can read a percussion book and get what's going on. I'm sure there are plenty who can do both but reading notes doesn't always mean you "get it." I've also noticed that most "drum guys and girls" really appreciate brass books. You'll usually find me at as many brass arcs as percussion arcs at Atlanta. 

...one of the reasons I have a lot of respect for percussionists...

51 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... when I played (or attempted to play... LOL) auxiliary percussion with Westshoremen Alumni's front ensemble, it took me a while to get used to seeing all the music on one note across the page, instead of up and down the scale like a brass score, from my marching days. 

The brass stuff is much easier to follow. :tongue:

I remember in college...when I thought I wanted to teach music...having to compose in C clef for the first time. How something so incredibly simple to comprehend can make my brain melt I still am not quite clear on. But 10,422,763 notes all on one bar in some oddball time signature...no problemo.

6 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I remember in college...when I thought I wanted to teach music...having to compose in C clef for the first time. How something so incredibly simple to comprehend can make my brain melt I still am not quite clear on. But 10,422,763 notes all on one bar in some oddball time signature...no problemo.

You had to compose in Alto Clef? Was the prof a viola player? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

The C was for Cadets?

I thought this was a thread about Cadets 2020.

Some special project garbage LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1