Cadets 2020

15 hours ago, M Ryan said:

I usually don’t post on forums but I would like to counter some of the negativity being posted here about the Cadets.   I am a retired music educator and a member of the Santa Clara Vanguard Admin staff.  I have also been assisting the Cadets administratively in the office and at their winter camps since I reside in Pennsylvania and have worked in the past with Denise Bonfiglio, Cadets corps director and Michele Teevan, Cadets Operations Manager while they were with SCV.  

Here are my observations:

The corps took possession of a brand new set of Yamaha brass at their December camp in Salem,  New Jersey.  I would know since i personally inventoried each horn.

At the winter camps I have had the opportunity to observe the educational staff and their interaction with the prospective members and I am impressed with their professionalism and the quantity and quality of their instruction.  There is a lot of good teaching taking place.

I am also impressed with the commitment and work ethic of the volunteers and members of the Cadets Volunteer Association,  Many of these people no longer have students in the Cadets but they continue to volunteer because of the love they have for the corps, and for each other.

Denise Bonfiglio, Corps Director and Ron Lambert, Assistant Corps Director personally addressed the prospective members and expressed their commitment to returning the Cadets to their rightful place among the upper echelon of DCI

Michele Teevan, Operations Manager and Justin Moore, Director of Operations are super organized and are doing their best to make sure everything is in place at camps so the prospective members have a positive and enjoyable Cadets experience.  I heard many vets, volunteers, and instructional staff comment Positively about how organized and professional the camps are being run compared to previous years.

I was also impressed with the “show and tell” that was presented at the December Camp.  The corps performed a few minutes of the opener and although I cannot divulge any information concerning the 2020 production I will sum the opener up with one word,  tempo.  The brass sound great playing a Jay Bocook horn book and the percussion will not disappoint.

I think the 2020 corps will give people who have “fallen out of love” with the Cadets the past few years the opportunity to fall back in love with them.  Right now they need the support of the drum corps community and less negativity.

End of rant

thanks Mike!

31 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

A very generous individual purchased a set of horns out of their own pocket and is lending them to the Cadets for the summer. Yes really

Recap:

1. They're "new"

2. Cadets/YEA! didn't have to pay for them

3. Move forward with 2020 preparations

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ghost said:

Then there's no need for M Ryan to type "rightful place."

he was quoting Denise

12 hours ago, M Ryan said:

Sorry for my choice of words in my previous post. That is why I do not post on forums. I was just trying to relay the passion and commitment expressed by the corps leadership.  My apologies

no need sir!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

And that you heard from the spiders who crawl around the ghost town that was Yea!!!

it was a joke

2 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I'm curious what you thought her definition of "new" is. If the director states that they're new, it's pretty safe to say that they came from the factory. Even as an educator, when my program gets new equipment from the factory I call it new, however, if we receive used equipment as a donation, I wouldn't refer to it as new, nor would I assume that she was referring to used equipment. Hence, the reason I am asking what you assumed she was implying by using the word "new."

If I went and bought a used car it is still "NEW" to me as the owner.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fsthnds said:

She conveniently left out where the horns came from in, for the Cadets. Are they "NEVER" used "NEW" from the factory???

DCP is installing a new " Troll Alarm "System. So sometime soon you trolls will just vanish POOF !!!

6 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I'm curious what you thought her definition of "new" is. If the director states that they're new, it's pretty safe to say that they came from the factory. Even as an educator, when my program gets new equipment from the factory I call it new, however, if we receive used equipment as a donation, I wouldn't refer to it as new, nor would I assume that she was referring to used equipment. Hence, the reason I am asking what you assumed she was implying by using the word "new."

Come on. You didn't know? ANYTHING with Cadets is suspect. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Come on. You didn't know? ANYTHING with Cadets is suspect. 

Mea culpa. I stand corrected. I forgot I’m supposed to just assume the worst for them. 

On 1/7/2020 at 5:18 PM, Poppycock said:

I guess officially I’m considered a dude, but with a feminine sense for fashion. 

Too bad you guys aren't closer to Baltimore. We'd be out drinking a lot. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2